Digital Marketing BlogDigital Marketing Case Studies, WhyTos, HowTos, Interviews, News, Events, Jobs and more...
MBA in Digital Marketing vs Digital Marketing Certification
Why should I even care about MBA in Digital Marketing? Well, let me tell you…
At the moment, the number of internet users worldwide is 3,675,824,813… Well, that is a huge number. The internet penetration is 50.1% which means it has grown 958% from 2000 to 2016.
Not so surprisingly, since people are moving online, the career prospects in digital industry are growing too.
In 2016, the average firm was expected to allocate 30% of their marketing budget to online; this rate is expected to grow to 35% by 2019. (Forrester Research, 2016)
People have numerous career paths to choose from after graduation. One of the emerging fields is Digital Marketing. Undoubtedly, Digital media is the best domain to be in today’s time.
You can enter the online/internet marketing industry with Digital Marketing certifications. The industry has different metrics to track almost everything that happens on the internet and therefore, getting certified in any of its domain (SEO, PPC, Email Marketing, Social Media Marketing, or Web Analytics) will give you an edge over others.
Taken the 3-year trend from 2013 to 2016 in Google Trends, I compared MBA in Digital Marketing (blue) against Digital Marketing certification (red) and Digital Marketing diploma (mustard). As it is visible, the demand for Digital Marketing Diploma and Digital Marketing Certification is way higher than MBA in Digital Marketing.
People are less likely to prefer MBA in Digital Marketing in India when they have other options available offering better results.
MBA in Digital Marketing vs Digital Marketing Certification
So how MBA in Digital Marketing is different from certifications in Digital Marketing?
The most basic and important difference between these two is that you need no previous experience or schooling whereas, for degrees or masters, you need:
- Previous schooling
- Degree prerequisites
- GPA scores
These steep requirements often come along when an applicant has applied for MBA in Digital Marketing.
Aim of Digital Marketing Certification & MBA in Digital Marketing
Let’s see how Digital Marketing certification is different from masters in Digital Marketing…
1. Digital Marketing Diploma/Certification
The aim of Digital Marketing certificates is typically aimed at acquiring professional skills. A person who is focused on learning essential skills and knowledge should go for Digital Marketing Certification or a Diploma.
2. Masters in Digital Marketing
In MBA Digital Marketing, you will learn the basic business concepts with specific Digital Marketing courses. You will have an overall idea of what is the role of Digital Marketing in business instead of learning professional Digital Marketing skills.
How Digital Marketing Certification is Better than MBA in Digital Marketing?
When it comes to career, we all are skeptic about what could be the best possible option for us. If you are confused about which or what kind of Digital Marketing Course to choose, consider the following points:
Meeting the Demands for Digital Marketing Skills
We all know there is a huge requirement for digital marketing skills and this gap is only filled by those who actually know how to apply their theoretical knowledge to solve the problem at hand. Although a lot of institutions and colleges like IIMs have added digital marketing as a subject, they are unable to reach the bar when it comes to quality and practical knowledge.
This is because digital marketing skills need to be imparted by an expert and someone who is able to apply his knowledge in the real world. Well, those experts/practitioners are working in the industry. However, the universities hire a professor who gives the students an academic orientation.
As we mentioned above, doing a digital marketing masters program requires schooling, a good GPA and if you are not a graduate, forget about building a rewarding career in this industry. Education qualification is a pre-requisite when it comes to an MBA unlike certification.
Questions like ‘What are the best universities for an MBA in digital marketing?’ or ‘What are the best MBA degrees in digital marketing?’ are common. Almost everyone is doing an MBA digital marketing online or offline without even thinking what is the benefit they could derive from it. However, soon after students are asking ‘What digital marketing courses after MBA I can go for?’
Here is an eye opener for you…
93% of MBA graduates are unemployed in India according to a study conducted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) in April 2016.
The study says that with the exception of the elite Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and the top 20 ranking institutions, most of the MBAs are doing a 8 or 9-hour shift for 10,000 INR or even less. This is because people lack professional skills and the market requires experts who can solve the real world problem.
Therefore, there’s a growing trend for specialized programs vs general MBA unless done from premier management institutions such as IIMs, ISB.
Why Should I Choose Digital Marketing Certification Over Free Online Digital Programs?
Free Digital Marketing courses may seem to be good to ears and some might consider the free courses as well. The cost-free education may sound too good to be true.
- But the fact is you need immense self-motivation and dedication.
- One thing is for sure, there are no penalties for lagging behind in these courses and also, no rewards for excelling at them.
- Also, these free Digital Marketing course resources may exist but they are surely not organized or all located in one place against the organized degree or certifications.
- If you have ever tried free online education, you must have faced the inability to discuss with a class or an expert. This implies free course instructors may not be available to answer your queries or clarify the doubts like a certificate course instructor would do.
- The highly distinctive feature of a certification in Digital Marketing to a free online Digital Marketing course/program would be the employment opportunities.
- In Digital Marketing diploma and certification, the performance is tracked down by the institution, the task for self-studied students is to prove their ability and skill set without the help of a certification, degree, GPA or professor recommendations.
However, it depends on you which path is suitable in terms of financial budget, goals, and student’s qualities.
Types of Digital Marketing Certification
If you plan to go for Digital Marketing Certification, here are top 7 specializations you can opt for:
1. Search Engine Optimization or SEO Certification
If you are planning to do SEO certification, you will learn the methods, tactics, techniques, and strategies to increase the number of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking position in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) like Google, Yahoo, Bing, and more.
- On-page Optimization
- Off-page Optimization
- Search Engine Algorithms
- Live projects and assignments to get hands-on experience, and more
2. Social Media Marketing (SMM) Certification
Social Media Marketing means the process of gaining website traffic or attention via social media sites. You will usually create content that attracts the eyeballs of the crowd and encourages them to share your article/image/video on their social networks.
- Social Media Strategies
- Promotion of content
- Crafting and executing strategies on various social media platforms
3. Search Engine Marketing/SEM/PPC Certification
SEM is a part of internet marketing where you will promote the websites by increasing their visibility in search engine results pages (SERPs) majorly via paid advertising. Upon doing PPC certification, you will learn the following skill set:
- Strategizing PPC plans
- Market Analysis
- Campaign Management
- Bid Management Plan
- Performance Tracking and more
4. Web Analytics Certification
Learning web analytics means you will be able to measure, collect, analyze and report web data for the purposes of understanding and optimizing web usage. This aspect of Digital Marketing provides information about the number of visitors to a website and the number of page views. One acquires special skills like:
- Goals and Ecommerce
- Common Web Analytics Mistakes
- Web Analytics Tools
- Social CRM and Analytics
- Social Media Analytics
5. Email Marketing Certification
The uses of emails to request business, send ads, solicit sales or donation, and are meant to build loyalty, trust, or brand awareness. You will learn the following aspects:
- Ensure deliverability of emails
- Create effective Email Content
- Acquire customers using Email Marketing
- Nurturing & Automation
6. Inbound Marketing Certification
Opposite to outbound marketing, inbound marketing is the promotion of a company or other organization via social media marketing, physical products, SEO, newsletters, eBooks, video, blogs, and other forms of content marketing which would attract the customers. The following aspects are covered in any Inbound Marketing Certification:
- Attract potential customers into conversion funnel
- Convert Prospects to Leads using emails
- Convert Traffic to Leads
- Nurture Leads using emails
7. Content Marketing Certification
It is the marketing technique of creating and distributing relevant, useful, and consistent content to attract and acquire a clearly defined audience with the goal of driving profitable consumer action. By doing a content marketing certification, you will learn to:
- Write blogs and newsletters
- Execute a Content Marketing Strategy
- Measure Content effectiveness
- Video content marketing
Career Options after Digital Marketing Certifications
Jobs are available…
But extraordinary jobs with good pay scale are only available to those who are extraordinary or specialized in a field. Having basic knowledge of Digital Marketing isn’t enough in this post-digital world. You can secure ‘that dream job’ of yours only if you have skills that differentiate you from the rest.
Out of those highly-paid and satisfying jobs, here are few enlisted below:
1. Digital Marketing Manager
Have good experience and certifications to prove your expertise? You will be hired easily!
Responsibilities of a Digital Marketing Manager
- Leading Digital Marketing team
- Reporting to Vice President of marketing
- Combining different components of Digital Marketing
- Making the Digital Marketing strategy efficient
Salary of a Digital Marketing Manager
The salary ranges from 15-20 lacs per annum but can go up to 40 lacs depending upon the experience.
2. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Specialist
Know the tactics of increasing the hits on a particular website and improve its Google rankings via SEO practices, you are good to go as an SEO specialist.
Responsibilities of an SEO Specialist
- Translate the work of marketing executive into successful SEO campaigns
- Keyword researching, auditing content, checking image tagging & site maps
- Boosting social shares
- Keep pace with changing trends in SEO world
- Look for statistics
3. Social Media Marketing Expert
Social media marketing is concerned with spreading the content via social media platforms. With the addition of new targeting options and features added almost every single day, the requirement for a social media marketer is increasing day by day.
Responsibilities of Social Media Marketing Expert
- Run advertisements on social media platforms
- Social Media Strategizing
4. PPC Specialist
After doing PPC or SEM certification, you can apply for PPC specialist job. However, remember that you can’t excel in PPC field if you know nothing practically.
Responsibilities of a PPC Specialist
- Targeting the number of leads & Clicks in a given budget
- Keyword Research
- Split testing the ad campaign
- Bid Management
- Ad copywriting
5. Inbound Marketing Manager
The inbound marketer creates a strategy on how to attract customers.
Responsibilities of an Inbound Marketer
- Manage funnel and conversion at each stage
- Drip marketing
- Lead nurturing
- Conversion rate optimization
6. Content Marketing Manager
Content marketing is the king (we’ve heard it several times by now)…This implies, there are many opportunities available to those who know the tactics of writing well online. You can also work from home without any hustle.
Responsibilities of content marketers
- Content Marketing and managing blogs, ebook publications, etc
- Video marketing
- Guest blogging
- Email communication
Read to know more: Top Digital Marketing Jobs
Skills you will Acquire after Digital Marketing Diploma
Going for a Digital Marketing certification implies that you wish to acquire special and technical skills about Social Media Marketing, SEO, PPC and more.
However, whilst in the process to acquire a certification, you will also learn the following skills:
- Analytical Ability
- Comfort with Technology
- Passion for Digital Media
To sum up all, there is one thing for sure that you might have to spend an exorbitant amount of money when it comes to MBA in Digital Marketing. Also, if you are looking to acquire professional skills, Digital Marketing certification is something you should go for!
Still need clarity? Join the free orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career Growth.
Tell us what your requirements are? Do you prefer Digital Marketing MBA or a Certification?
Image credits: digitalmarketinginstitute, freepik