It’s been over 10 years since Nishant Choudhary has been working in the e-commerce Industry in Indian markets. He started off with different Categories & eventually moved towards the Marketing side of the business. Bangalore-based Nishant has had an experience of working with various startups like Infibeam, Snapdeal, Sports365 & now Zoffio which grew over the course of time. This experience gave him a lot of exposure towards digital marketing.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Nishant: I was always mesmerized by the vastness and potential that Digital Marketing has. I also got the privilege of working with some great leaders who were experts in this field and this inspired me to look at expanding my horizons in a business that is thriving in today’s world.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
- Larger Audience/reach
No, it’s not a threat. But both are parallel and important for any activity as one helps the other.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
- Housejoy- They understand their audience and know how to best reach out to their clients in an effective manner.
- Ola- They have effectively reached out to both drivers and customers through their Mobile Appand have created a mark of their own in a short span of time.
- Bigbasket- They made it convenient for working people to order grocery online and have used the right techniques through conventional and digital campaigns.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Affiliates- Various affiliates place cookies and drive traffic to different websites.
- Segmentation of customer missing- campaigns are effective if the right campaign is shown to the right customer.
- Overestimating- The campaigns take some time to help achieve the goals. Both branding and conversions are key.
- They do not have a clear company goal.
- They push content that may not be necessary and relevant.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Nishant: In-house approach, because what you spend will help you achieve much more. I think in-house solutions are great if there is a team around them to support it, but it is difficult to really go at it without the appropriate resources (development, designers, content,etc).
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
Nishant: It solely depends upon individual client’s requirement. Although I believe that automation of each and everything is not good for any organization I would say these are my favorites.
- Consumer Barometer
- Google Global Market Finder
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs: Since Digital Marketing is one of the major revenue generators in today’s life, competitors need to strategize.
- For Professionals: Competitors are using digital marketing to enhance ROI, there is a huge demand in Digital Marketing and it is easy to get jobs if one has talent.
- For Students: The future of today’s shopping experience is gradually moving to online marketing.To add to this, a number of colleges offer digital marketing as part of their curriculum. If they have an inclination towards Digital media, they should keep themselves abreast with the latest trends in this field.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
Nishant: It depends upon the position, overall I look at google analytics skills, passion to work and the attitude to learn & explore new things in digital marketing.
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Nishant: The most important advice to newbies is self-learning. Explore new tools in the industry and get your hands dirty and then move on to the next. Understand the nuances of SEO, SEM, paid marketing, social media, emailers, affiliates etc.
For newbies, who want to start a career in Digital Marketing must go through following portals
- Know About Google and other search engines (https://www.google.com/about/) (https://www.google.com/about/company/history/)
- SEO Starter PDF (Google)
- Research Areas & Publications ( http://research.google.com/ )
- Google Blog ( https://www.google.com/intl/en/press/blog-social-directory.html)
- Consumer Barometer ( https://www.consumerbarometer.com )
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
- Sandeep Menon (CMO, Google India)
- Sushant Sreeram (Marketing Head, Xiaomi)
- Irfan Khan (CEO, Blogmint)
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Nishant: For any updates related to digital marketing
Follow Researches in different social media platforms – http://research.google.com/researchers.html
Regularly browse the websites like search engine land, ppc hero, bruce cley blog and attend seminars and network among people.
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Nishant: Digital Media is booming all around the world due to number of users or we can say simply Digital Marketing is booming.
Top trends for 2016 must be based on qualitative as well as quantitative data. As per Moore’s Law, Internet users are increasing day by day same as chips in the circuit.
Due to this, the demand of products is going to increase around the globe.
The number of Internet users in India is expected to reach 402 million by December 2015, registering a growth of 49 per cent over last year, says a report by industry body IAMAI. This number is expected to further surge to 462 million by June next year as more people come online, especially through their mobile devices. The total Internet user base stood at over 300 million in December last year, which grew to 375 million by October this year.
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
I think it’s been close to 6 years since I have known of Digital Vidya. You have been doing a tremendous job in the digital marketing area. The way you have approached this market gives lot of value in the outcomes.
Thanks for reaching out to me & giving me this opportunity to be able to share my experiences with Digital marketing enthusiasts.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).