Parik Seth is a first class graduate from Maharshi Dayanand University with a BCA Degree and thereafter started his digital Marketing career as an SMO Executive. Somewhere along the line, he realized that the evolution of digital touch points has effectively flip-flopped the marketing world. Right afterward, Parik started his complete Digital Marketing Career – rising to pre-eminent Digital Marketing Manager.
In his current role, he’s Vice President – Sales & Marketing at LeanPort Software Pvt. Ltd., where he manages complete web solutions including SEO, Email/Mobile Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Website & Mobile App Development, and Digital Campaigns to strengthen the online footprint of businesses and drive brand awareness.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Parik: Digital Marketing has always riveted me. In college, I used to hear a lot about Digital Marketing from friends and mentors. However, that time Digital Marketing was just a name for most of us; Digital Marketing was at blooming stage only. That time Newspaper, Street Road Banners, and Television Ads were in trend. I started researching on the topic. While reading the different tactics and approaches of Digital Marketing, I developed a keen interest in it. Right after my graduation, I started my career in Digital Marketing only.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Parik: It has always been crucial to promote your service and/or product to your potential audience. It helps you to get your product name out effectively and make sales. No matter whether you do Conventional Marketing or Digital Marketing, the goal and the motive is same for both of the marketing formats. However, both the formats differ in format. Conventional marketing has comparatively lesser marketing communications with the customers. As Conventional marketing uses techniques as telephone phone calls, messages, e-mails, etc. the outcome takes more time but are better organized. In the other hand, Digital Marketing is based completely on the Internet for the marketing communications, thus making any other customer or client be a part of in the discussion and react instantly. Businesses can’t only depend on the conventional marketing – they have to maintain their effective presence in Digital Marketing as well.
Digital Marketing is NOT a threat to the future of conventional marketing. No matter how half-baked Digital Marketing seems today, as a business marketer there’s still no substitute to conventional marketing for getting your product/service out there squarely, to generate conversion, interest, and interaction with the right prospects in your market.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
Ten Sports – Micromax Tri-Series Cup 2010 Campaign
This campaign was focused awaring people about the series and attracting them to watch the series on Ten Sports Channel. Using comprehensive Social Media tactics, we successfully dragged thousands of people on the channel.
Discovery TLC – Living With A Superstar: Shah Rukh Khan
This campaign was a game-changer project for me. It was based on 10-episode documentary on superstar Shah Rukh Khan’s life. Discovery TLC was telecasting the show and wanted more and more audiences to watch the show using Social Media. I and my team successfully surpassed their expectations.
MAGGI Welcome Back Campaign
I’m pretty impressed with the new MAGGI Welcome Back Campaign. I’ve been following the campaign from starting and really liked the timing of execution of the different channels they have used.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- No Proper Strategy Planning: Tactics without strategy is just a noise before defeat. Many organizations just jump into the Digital Marketing without any proper setup and planning. This ultimately offers no fruitful result to the organizations leading to very low or NO ROI. Organizations need to understand their customers and marketing before.
- Muddling Up Engagement and Conversion: This is one of the most common mistakes that organizations make. People expect their followers to convert completely without making some effective efforts. Organizations need to understand that conversion depends not only on engagement but also on recommendation, action, reviews and many things more.
- Disconnection Between Business and Marketing: If customers don’t get the product or service as promised in the marketing, they lose credibility in the brand. A perfect Digital Marketing can shape your Brand’s future.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Parik: There is no ONE answer to this question. The answer completely depends on the size and the type of the business. However, according to me, opting for a reliable Agency is best options for small to medium sized businesses. Agencies have experience in handling a wide range of businesses and are efficient enough to offer you maximum value of Digital Marketing in lesser time. Agencies have many experienced marketers working for them. Moreover, with experienced and reliable agencies, you are ensured that you will get the best possible result and higher ROI.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
Parik: There are hundreds of tools in the market, however, I use the following tools frequently:
- Google Analytics
- Google Ad Words
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
Parik: Digital Marketing is the new trending way to connect businesses with potential customers efficiently.
- For Entrepreneurs: They need to learn Digital Marketing to be content and make right marketing decisions for handling any in-house team or any hired agency. Entrepreneurs are the one who understands their business and their customers in best way and hence can decide which digital marketing channel best-suit their business.
- For Professionals: Digital Marketing is ever evolving and hence the professionals should keep themselves updated with new Digital Marketing channels to stay relevant to the industry. Instead of focusing on what you do, focus more on how well you do.
- For Students: Learning about Digital Marketing can help you create your own brand. Keep reading, learning and updating with latest digital marketing trends. No matter with which type of organization you will be associated in the future, your digital marketing knowledge will always be valued.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
Parik: The skills completely depend on the experience of the candidate. However, below are the skills, I look in every candidate:
- Desire to Learn
- Analytical Mindset
- Knowledge About Latest Digital Marketing Trends
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Parik: Digital Marketing is not easy in the beginning. Keep learning, reading, and be updated. The eagerness to learn new things is a great way to achieve big, especially when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Keep yourself updated with latest digital marketing trends. Above all, one needs to be content with acronyms such as SEM, PPC, and SEO.
Understanding of these different terms is a clear sign that you have a beginner’s skill set and need further professional training. Build your own online Brand.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Parik: There is not any specific blog that I follow to keep myself updated. However, I keep checking SearchEngineLand and a few others on regular basis to discover whats going on in the industry.
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Parik: When it comes to Digital Marketing, 2 widely recognized names always crop up in my mind:
- Neil Patel, co-founder of the analytics companies Crazy Egg, KISSmetrics, and Quick Sprout
- Matt Cutts, former head of the web spam team at Google
- Avinash Kaushik, author of Web Analytics 2.0 and Web Analytics
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Parik: What’s Next? What’s in Trend? These questions are most common when it comes to Digital Marketing. The Trends change takes place with changes in consumer use of digital media and technology in digital marketing.
- Increasing Mobile Usage: In 2014 & 15, we have seen continued growth in mobile use. So, unsurprisingly, the use of mobile marketing will continue to be one of leading digital marketing trends to follow in 2016.
- Video Marketing: Video Ads are not new in the Digital Marketing world. Consumers seem to be more accepting to Video Ads online and hence in 2016, Video Ads will start dominating.
- App Indexing: Apps can do everything a website can and are more convenient, Intuitive and accessible. In upcoming years, business owners will realize the advantages of a dedicated app for online visibility.
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Digital Vidya is doing a highly appreciable job to produce next generation Digital Marketers. The approaches used by you guys to bridge the knowledge and creativity offers great value for both professionals and entrepreneurs.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).