data analytics books“Data! Data! Data! I can’t make bricks without clay.”
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a Scottish Writer and Physician, most noted for Stories of Sherlock Holmes said the aforesaid statement. Even his most famous fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes could not draw any conclusions until he had sufficient data.
“Without big data analytics, companies are blind and deaf, wandering out onto the Web like deer on a freeway.”-says Geoffrey Moore, Author of Crossing the Chasm & Inside the Tornado.
Without data analytics, your company is not only vulnerable but also lacks vision to measure efforts to ensure more conversions. However, only owning some analytics tools will never be enough to rescue you from that vulnerability and slackness. You need to have adept knowledge of Analytics so that you can extract value from your data analytics investments. Following 10 Data Analytics books will help you understand the big picture of Data & Analytics in the most encyclopedic fashion.
Top 10 Data Analytics Books
1.) Google Analytics
Google Analytics by Justin Cutroni is best for you if you are new to the world of online data and have recently set up Google Analytics for your website. It lets you learn Google Analytics in the most comprehensive and interactive manner, and if you are a naïve to the world of internet marketing & big data, then stay assured, once you complete this books, you will be able to know all the thick & thins of Google Analytics. To prepare & pass your Google Analytics Certification exam, this one is considered as the best data analytics book. It is equally useful for experienced Analytics professionals too.
About Author Justin Cutroni
- Justin is an Analytics Evangelist at Google and he is authorized by Google to teach Google Analytics Seminars for Success.
- As an Analytics influencer, he has conducted numerous training events on Data Analytics in US and Europe. He works with senior level management to make effective business strategies based on web data.
- Justin is an active participant in the web analytics community, and he addresses professionals at various industry events and shares his knowledge to advance the analytics industry.
- In 2014, Justin was named the Digital Analytics Industry’s Most Influential Contributor by the Digital Analytics Association.
2.) Google Analytics Integrations
Google Analytics Integrations by Daniel Waisberg gives you a chance to discover behavioral propensity of your target audiences and help you track returns of your digital marketing investments. In Google Analytics Integrations, you can learn powerful techniques and strategies to have a more lucid perspective of your clients. In addition, Waisberg reveals to you procedures that drive growth opportunities by helping you know how to avoid common SEO hurdles as well. This Google Analytics book helps you utilize Google Analytics to transform the effective Empirical Data Collection into a Paramount Marketing Analysis that helps your business create amazing leads and guarantee conversions.
About Author Daniel Waisberg
- Daniel Waisberg is Analytics Advocate at Google. He is also Founder & Editor of ‘Online Behavior’, which is one of the most famous Marketing Measurement & Optimization portals.
- Waisberg has worked as a Google Analytics Certified Partner, and has been delivering multiple training programs, analytical insights, account designs to different businesses such as- Google, 888 Holdings & Caesars Entertainment Corporation.
- About Analytics, Waisberg says:-
“With Google Analytics Integrations you will get a step closer to making your data meaningful and actionable by adding valuable connections to your Web Analytics data”
3.) You Should Test That
You Should Test That by Chris Goward aids you understand techniques to convert website visitors into customers by optimizing conversions. Complete name of book is- ‘You Should Test That: Conversion Optimization for More Leads, Sales and Profit or The Art and Science of Optimized Marketing’, and it incorporates all idiosyncrasies of Analytics that are significant for digital marketing optimization. You will get to know right analytical tools, right strategies to run online experiments, best quality testing ideas, and marketing customization to ensure best profits and results. Conversion optimization through effective analytics is part science and part art that guides you choose right testing strategies, prioritize experiment opportunities, and analyze data.
About Author Chris Goward
- Chris Goward is founder and CEO of Wider Funnel- A conversion optimization agency.
- As an Analytics expert, he is known for improving marketing results of firms like eBay, BabyAge.com, Google, SAP, Electronic Arts, Expensify, Iron Mountain, and Hair Club by up to 400%.
- He is widely famous as a conversion optimization thought leader, and addresses international conferences like Search Engine Strategies, eMetrics, Pubcon, European Conversion Summit, Search Marketing Expo, IIMA, Internet Marketing Conference and Conversion Conference.
- About Data Analytics, Chris says-
“Most companies make decisions about their websites and mobile experiences based on conformity, fear of the big boss, intuition, habit and so on. The result is that websites don’t accomplish all they could. I’ve found a better way to optimize experiences and produce outsize revenue gains. Conversion optimization is often the most profitable strategy for smart companies. And this book shows you how to do it.”
4.) Web Analytics 2.0
Web Analytics 2.0 by Avinash Kaushik shows readers how to transform copious amounts of online data into actionable information. This helps your company be a data-driven organization, to ensure expected returns on your investments. The book accurately describes today’s business challenges and how data analytics can resolve them. Web Analytics 2.0 provides specific recommendations to create actionable strategies and apply analytical techniques in co-relation to channelize profitable digital marketing multichannel campaigns. Buy it to let your organization be more data driven. You too will turn to be an Analytics expert. This is also helpful in preparing & passing Google Analytics Certification Exam.
About Author Avinash Kaushik
- He is the author of the leading research & analytics blog- Occam s Razor.
- Avinash is an Analytics Evangelist for Google and he also works as the Chief Education Officer at Market Motive, Inc.
- Avinash is globally famous as a bestselling author and a frequent speaker on the importance of analytics.
- Avinash received 2009 Statistical Advocate of the Year award from the American Statistical Association.
- In one of this quotes about Analytics, he says-
“In a sea of experts and opinions, making career-limiting moves is quite easy. If you understand even the simplest way to use data, you’ll avoid those moves and you might even turbo-charge your career. Go get Web Analytics 2.0” – Avinash Kaushik
5.) Lean Analytics
Lean Analytics by Alistair Croll & Benjamin Yoskovitz lets you track and analyze empirical data and metrics that matter most to optimize your website for lead generation & conversion. Lean Analytics helps you know the stage of your business and kind of analytical practices and tools that you should use. It guides you validate that your challenges and problems are real or not and it helps you find right customers to monetize internet marketing campaign. If your company is in its early stage then this is a must book for you. Lean analytics let you learn you best practices to avoid many risks inherent to new startups. Even the complete name of Lean Analytics is- Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster.
About Author Alistair Croll & Benjamin Yoskovitz
- Alistair Croll has been an entrepreneur, author and public speaker on the topics like big data, cloud computing, startups for nearly 20 years.
- Alistair is co-founder of web performance startup Coradiant and he has launched many ventures- Rednod, Year One Labs, CloudOps, Bitcurrent, the International Startup Festival, the Bitnorth conference, etc.
- Benjamin Yoskovitz is founding partner of Highline BETA- a startup co-creation company that launches new ventures with great corporate partners and founder.
- Benjamin has also worked with Salesforce as a Director of Product Management, and about his book, he says-
“You should read Lean Analytics to avoid making all the brutally painful mistakes that the authors made in numerous startup adventures. Data matters. It can help you make better decisions, solve problems and grow your startup, but you have to know how to use it and when to apply it. Lean Analytics will help you with that.”
6.) Performance Marketing with Google Analytics
Performance Marketing with Google Analytics by Sebastian Tonkin, Caleb Whitmore & Justin Cutroni offers one of the most comprehensive explanations of practical applications of Analytics by using in-depth case studies & related examples on- search advertising, prioritizing marketing channels, optimizing campaigns, measuring website performances, accessing brand health and tracking revenues. This data analytics book incorporates best tips to utilize Google Analytics for accomplishing your business objectives. It is likewise useful for the individuals who are simply beginning in Web & Data Analytics, as it takes you through each and every detail of data analytics in an encyclopedic and all-embracing manner. As a standout amongst the best books on data analytics, it additionally helps you take in Google’s conversion oriented tools such as Google AdSense, Google AdWords and other Google updates and trends.
About Authors Sebastian Tonkin, Caleb Whitmore & Justin Cutroni
- Sebastian Tonkin is the former member of Google Analytics Marketing team and now he works as a successful analytics entrepreneur.
- Caleb Whitmore is one of the most famous and experienced Google Analytics Authorized Consultant. He is a Founder of Analytics Pros, which is a company that empowers and supports Google Analytics users.
- Justin Cutroni is author of Analytics Talk; a popular analytics blog. He is also a Google Analytics Seminars leader and an Analytics consultant who assists companies understand how they can ensure great ROI from Google Analytics.
7.) Web Analytics Demystified by Eric Peterson
Web Analytics Demystified by Eric Peterson lets you learn how to leverage your web traffic data to improve performance of your website. You will learn techniques of making data actionable and turning information into insights. Web Analytics Demystified includes details of empirical data, analytics tools, metrics and other idiosyncrasies comprised by all kinds of analytics packages. You will be able to analyze reports that are most useful for your online business that aids you channelize campaigns, which are data driven and conversion oriented. Analytics programs mentioned in this book are base of key performance indicators (KPIs) suitable for each major business model and it is guaranteed they will work for you.
About Author Eric Peterson
- Eric T. Peterson is Chief Executive Officer at Web Analytics Demystified, Inc.
- He has been working in the analytics space since 1998 at some of the industry-leading companies like WebTrends (now NetIQ), WebSideStory, & WebCriteria (now Coremetrics).
- Eric has published three books on the Analytics: Web Analytics Demystified, The Big Book of Key Performance Indicators, & Web Site Measurement Hacks.
- He is specialized in Web analytics and measuring the effect of online marketing, performance measurement, traffic analysis, user interface design, usability, writing.
8.) Data Smart
Data Smart by John W Foreman provides nine highly effective tutorials on optimization, conversions, data mining, machine learning, and forecasting that help you manage your campaigns more impressively. Book describes Analytics through real-world problem and hence it guides readers by using queries that reader might ask. It lets you find tracking and reporting solutions for your internet marketing campaigns by using apt data science techniques with utmost precision. Data Science practices given in the book are impressive in turning data into insights and you will learn simple steps to process data into actionable digital strategies.
About Author John W Foreman
- John W. Foreman is Chief Data Scientist for MailChimp.com
- He is a leader in Data Science Product Development Effort known as Email Genome Project.
- John is an analytics consultant, and he has created data science solutions for The Coca-Cola Company, Intercontinental Hotels Group, Royal Caribbean International, Department of Defense, Dell, IRS and FBI.
- Now, John works as Vice President of Product Management at MailChimp.
9.) Web Analytics Action Hero
Web Analytics Hero by Brent Dykes is going to give you an informative and equally interesting Analytics learning experience. Dykes believes that marketers need to think and act like an action hero, and the idea behind this, is the techniques that convert data insights into action to generate leads and ensure conversions. How you approach data analysis is most critical for the success of your organization, and with the Action Hero Framework of Web Analytics Action Hero you can easily go through the three key stages of analysis- Prioritize, Analyze & Mobilize, which helps you know what to analyze, how to analyze and how to drive action based on that. You can also get variety of useful examples and practical tips from experienced analysts in this book.
About Author Brent Dykes
- Brent Dykes is a Director, Data Strategy at Domo.
- He has also worked as Sr. Evangelist, Data Science & Analytics of Adobe.
- Brent is also an active blogger for Adobe on web analytics and known as one of the most popular analytics influencers.
- Brent has delivered 20+ presentations at so many web analytics conferences all around the globe. About his book, Brent says-
“This book is for anyone who wants to be more effective and efficient as an analyst. It provides a useful framework for turning insights into action, which is critical if you want to be successful with analytics.” – Brent Dykes
10.) Successful Analytics
Successful Analytics by Brian Clifton represents Google Analytics in an enterprise environment and it helps you know data that helps you make important business decisions. Book’s complete name is- Successful Analytics: Gain Business Insights by Managing Google Analytics. This book will help you ensure to have the best data that you and your organization can trust to channelize a successful marketing campaign. This is quite helpful for marketing managers and aspiring managers find actionable data to make effective digital strategies. This book is all about data trust and teamwork, which helps you use best quality empirical data to channelize data driven marketing campaigns.
About Author Brian Clifton
- Brian Clifton (PhD) is a web metrics consultant, independent author and educator. He is specialist in performance optimization using Google Analytics.
- Brian was the founding Head of Web Analytics for Google Europe.
- His latest book, 3rd edition of “Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics” is quite famous amongst students and professionals worldwide.
- A legacy of Brian Clifton work is the online learning centre for the Google Analytics Individual Qualification (GAIQ). About Successful Analytics he says-
“Successful Analytics is a natural progression for those analysts who are familiar with the day-to-day process of working with Google Analytics. That is, they have been doing their work for a few years now, but are struggling to get buy-in from senior management to invest in their team, or become a senior data manager themselves. Similarly, it is aimed at senior managers and executives who have responsibility for data. The book is a guide for them to know what to invest in, what is important, how to scale and what they can expect in return.”
Analytics Books are one of the most effective ways to help you gain a data-driven momentum in your conversion-oriented marketing campaigns. You get to learn best analytics practices that help you track performance of your site and measure returns on your investments in the most accurate manner possible.
Along with over-mentioned best Data Analytics Books, there are some others books on Data Analytics too that you may try to learn-
- Google Analytics Demystified: A Hands-On Approach by Joel Davis
- Connect: How to Use Data and Experience Marketing to Create Lifetime Customers by Lars Birkholm Petersen, Ron Person & Christopher Nash
- Data Just Right: Introduction to Large-Scale Data & Analytics by Michael Manoochehri
- Predictive Analytics- Revised and Updated: The power to predict who will click, buy, lie or die by Eric Siegel
- Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data by Charles Wheelan
- Actionable Web Analytics: Using Data to Make Smart Business Decisions by Jason Burby
- Marketing Analytics: Data-Driven Techniques with Microsoft Excel by Wayne Winston
- Cult of Analytics: Driving Online Marketing Strategies Using Web Analytics by Steve Jackson
- Thingalytics: Smart Big Data Analytics for the Internet of Things by John Bates
- Social Media Metrics Secrets by John Lovett
Want to learn more about Data Analytics, join our Data Analytics Course.
If you like to suggest any other Data Analytics Books, update me in the comment section below.