Founded in 1989, Asus is a Taiwanese, multinational, computer hardware and electronics company with its headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan. Its products include desktops, laptops, netbooks, mobile phones, networking equipment, monitors, projectors, motherboards, graphics cards, optical storage, multimedia products, peripherals, wearables, servers, workstations, and tablet PCs.
As of 2015, Asus is the world’s 5th largest PC retailer, amongst Business Week’s ‘InfoTech Top 100’ and ‘Asia’s Top 10 IT companies’. It also ranked first in the IT Hardware category of the 2008 Taiwan Top 10 Global Brands survey with a total brand value of $1.3 billion.
Asus’ Business Objectives
- Asus wanted to promote its newly launched Transformer Book family of products via digital marketing means.
- It launched a #TransformEveryday campaign to reach out to its audience
- The campaign revolved around talking about the small acts of kindness that can transform lives – just like the right technology can transform your daily lives.
- The primary objective was to create product awareness and increase sales of the newly launched product
- The secondary objective being, to create an emotional connect with the audience, and making a long lasting impression about the brand.
Approach/ strategy adopted by Asus
The Transform Everyday campaign launched by Asus used multiple advertising mediums like social media, original videos, microsites and contest rewards.
It encouraged the audience to participate and share their personal stories about how they had transformed someone’s life or how someone had transformed theirs. Audience strongly connects with brands that are associated with a good purpose or a social cause, and Asus’ social message of “transforming society” and the act of working to positively transform the world into a better place was designed to do just that.
For a period of two months, during the course of the Transform Everyday campaign, a microsite (transformeveryday.asus.com) allowed users to access Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to upload photos and videos of themselves performing acts of kindness, such as helping an elderly, feeding a stray animal or something as simple as smiling at a stranger and spreading joy. To encourage and motivate participation, participants were shortlisted for winning an ASUS Transformer Book T100 every week. Additionally, the entries got a chance to win a grand prize of $2,000 in ASUS gear.
As a social activity, 15 ASUS Transformer Book T100s were donated to one of three predefined charities namely Shriners, United Way or Operation Homefront.
To participate in the contest, consumers submitted entries via the microsite using the hashtag #asustransformeveryday. These moments were shared on Twitter via ASUS’ twitter handle @ASUSUSA
While engaging the audience in social media activities, in addition to this, Asus also released multiple videos on televisions and other digital platforms, based on small acts of kindness that Transform Everyday. This widened their target audience by reaching out even to the older age group not present on social media.
You can watch one of the videos here:
Results achieved by Asus
Asus played their cards right by not adopting traditional means of promoting the product directly, but instead opting for a modern strategy of making an impact on the audience’s minds with promotions that they could relate to, thereby attracting attention to the campaign. The audience was given a chance to perform good deeds, connect with their loved ones, help those in need of it and they made good use of it all.
Following are the results achieved:
- The campaign target was 2,25,000 site clicks, which instead received nearly 5 lakh clicks (progress towards objective shot up by 179%).
- While their social media target was 30000 engagements* they crossed 50,000 social media engagements.
- A target of 25 million impressions** was surpassed to 60 million impressions
- Video views target of 2 million video views reached 2.6 million video views
- The campaign generated goodwill by sharing the story of the ASUS donation to one of the campaign’s three chosen charities – generating hundreds of positive comments and shares in addition to millions of views.
The Transform Everyday campaign also helped to widen, grow and diversify Asus’ social media audience while creating brand awareness and highlighting the features and benefits of buying the Transformer Book range of products.
- Leveraging the campaign to promote exactly what the brand stands for.
Eg: Asus here stood for technology that transforms lives
- Connect with the audience via an out-of-the-box campaign they can relate to rather than simply promoting the product features outright.
- Attract attention by giving the audience some incentive like a contest giveaway or a voucher that generates buzz and increases participation.
- Users tend to connect with a brand that is working towards a social cause or for beneficial reasons.
- Have a clear idea of the campaign message and know well your target audience who will be most influenced by the campaign
* Engagement – the number of likes, comments, shares etc. your posts receive across social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter etc.
** Impressions – the number of times your ad or post is view on social media platforms
Data Sources: Wikipedia.org, shortyawards.com
Image sources: driversea.com