Hauser-Ross eye institute and surgicenter was established in 1980. It was a regional eye care provider located about 45 miles west of Chicago. Main motive of institute was to improve patient’s vision by leading innovative treatments in cataracts and vision correction surgery.
Business Objective of Hauser-Ross
Hauser-Ross earned large portion of income from medical and elective procedures. Marketing team of institute thought that improving site’s SEO could definitely boost these medical and elective procedures. Also they planned to apply inbound marketing strategies to boost procedures. They were assured that by improving the site they could get more inbound queries for procedures in four categories:
Competition for search engine ranking was tough in these four field. There were some big national brand already present on internet along with big content for “lasik” and “cataract”. As compared to this, big brands Hauser-Ross was a small regional provider.
Jennifer smith Digital marketing specialist Hauser-Ross said “Our goal was really to cut through that competition to boost our visibility and certainly attract users with a high-intent to purchase”.
Strategy followed by Hauser-Ross
With the help of inbound marketing techniques, marketing team of Hauser-Ross launched SEO strategy campaign. They had started by setting-up paid search campaign. They took six steps to achieve their target.
Step-1 Find your niche
Marketing team launched paid add campaign in October 2011 that targeted keywords in four categories. These categories were lasik, cataract,cosmetic and optical. Due to the paid search ads marketing team benefited in two ways-
- Immediate brand visibility in search engines
- Provided data which was useful for building SEO strategy
For three months team analysed program and collected keywords based upon following criteria.
- High volumes of traffic
- High conversion rate
- Low level competition
Team observed that instead of using highly competitive terms such as ” lasik surgery” people were comfortable to find result on the basis of location . For example to find facilities in sycamore if keyword was “Sycamore lasik surgery” then visitors were more likely to convert into customers. Marketing team referred these keywords as “Geo targeted keywords”.
Step-2- Conduct keyword research
Before designing keyword strategy marketing team of Hauser-Ross did detail research.
Ask the frontline
First they tried to understand audience behavior, how they look for information and company in market . They tried to find keywords to focus on for SEO which could be matched with audience behavior. For this they took helped from Hauser-Ross patient coordinator who accept inbound calls for the organization. They focused on these points
- Language used by patient
- Questions asked by patient
- Topics of discussion on call
Apart from this team also did website analysis. They list out which natural keywords were already driving traffic to it’s site. This helped the team to understand which keywords had some authority and which needed to improve.
Leverage keyword tools
Team gathered keywords from its paid search efforts, customer reached and website analytic and started analyzing them with free Google keyword tool. It helped them to find out estimate volume of traffic for each keyword, estimate level of competition and find out other relevant keywords through the tool’s suggestions.
Step-3 Repair site architecture
While doing analysis of site architecture team found that homepage had a several copies under different URL. These URLs were
Team redirected second and third URL to point to the first and consolidated these pages into a single homepage. They removed duplicate pages and repaired pages that did not load.
Step-4 Add Geo keywords to the site
Hauser-Ross team improved it’s SEO strategy by focusing on geo targeted keywords. The main areas the team improved the sites’s local SEO are as follow.
- The team added office’s street address,city name and phone number to the header and the footer.The footer also included 10 links to nearby organizations and hospitals the team is affiliated with. These links were included with the names of nearby cities.
- Team inserted header and footer at every page of website having complete information about address,city and contact numbers.
- Team change homepage as well. They added office’s location in two other places along with the list nearby locations at the bottom of the page.
- They updated contact page by adding office’s complete address, location map, fax,email and contact number.
Step-5 Improve other SEO factors
Hauser-Ross marketing team did some major changes on website.
- Team created several pages based upon some popular phrases. These pages were loaded with atleast one image, related information and lead forms. For example “Lasik eye surgery” page ,”cataract treatment option” etc.
- The team added links throughout the website that pointed to other internal pages. These links used variety of keywords in their anchor text and pointed to related pages.
- Meta data is the information used by search engines to serve a short description of a webpage in search result. Team updated website’s metadata and tags by including local city and relevant keywords.
Step-6 Improve off-site SEO
While determining ranking of website, search engines gave significant weight to some factors . These factors were not controlled by owner of website. To improve these factors team worked on certain areas.
- The team worked to encourage other website to link to Hauser-Ross. As inbound links had a big impact on SEO, team tried to include geo keywords in the links and anchor text.
- Team created Hauser-Ross place page having content of photos of staff doctors and facilities, contact information, a video and short description and keywords.This page is tied with Google maps. Places was the service provided by Google.
- The team also worked vendor that provides tools to verify and manage listings in local search engines.
Result achieved by Hauser-Ross
The efforts that were put into inbound marketing and SEO strategy based on geo targeted keywords were extremely fruitful. Within a short a time span Hauser-Ross could see some best result.
It was history of Hauser-Ross Institute that the new year brought a drop in eye procedures. But after launching campaign overall procedures were up 33.3% in the month of January which was against trend. Also team observed 61.6% y-o-y increase in organic traffic in February as compare to 52.8% year-over-year increase in organic search traffic in January. 6 out of 10 of the sites top keywords in February included location name “Sycamore” or”Dekalb”. Increased position on 429 keywords. In the field of vision correction surgery growth of 333% observed in revenue in the month of January.
Effective use of inbound marketing techniques and geo targeted keywords to build SEO strategy could definitely result in great output.
Over the past years, Search Engine Optimization has made a remarkable position in the Digital Marketing landscape and proved its worth by delivering the desired results in the form of higher rank in the SERP. To get an in-depth understanding of Search Engine Optimization, join our Search Engine Optimization Course.
Image credit: hauser-ross.com