About Lulu Mall
LuLu Mall is the largest shopping mall in India, situated in the city of Kochi. It is one of the most-favored places in Kerala. Spanning 17 acres and with a total retail floor area of 1.7 million square feet, it is the 89th largest shopping mall in the world.
It contains more than 215 outlets and has top international brands of luxury, Apparels, Cosmetics, food courts, coffee shops, 22,000 square feet of entertainment zones, including a 5,000 square feet Ice rink, said to be the first of its kind in Entire South India.
The mall was opened in March 2013. The estimated cost for this project is more than 16 billion. The property is owned and managed by Lulu Group.
Here are one-of-its-kind specialties of LuLu Mall-
Lulu Mall’s Business Objectives
Through NRI Shopping festival campaign, Primary objective was to create awareness among NRIs, tourists and the general public to visit the mall, drive sales across the different outlets, brand building exercise, create a buzz around the events and reach out to potential shoppers. A vision statement on the Group’s web site quoting “Managing Director- MA Yusuffali” commits to making the world a harmonious place to live in, in every way possible. If the Group’s vision is to go beyond the merchandising to create a fun and happy space for families or a hangout for the young, to offer all sections of society a global experience, as it were, it has certainly achieved this. Big retail, it seems, is the new equalizer.
Approach/Strategy Adopted by LuLu Mall
What actually triggered the thought was focusing on carrying heavy luggage to hometown is a hassle for NRI’s. Throughout the campaign, travelling light and shopping at LuLu Mall was stressed on!
To make the shopping festival a grand success, the following tools and platforms were used-
- NRI’s discount book- This discount booklet featured brands and their current discount offers.
- Social Media- Facbook page and twitter handles were updated daily. Paid ads option was adopted to cater target audience during this 2 months campaign.
- Radio and Newspaper Campaigns – 1 month
- NRI’s shopping festival micro site- To Promote the event among the general public and NRI’s a micro site of LuLu Mall was launched. It was live during the period of promotion. It featured brands, discounts, contest winners to keep up the engagement. Website- http://www.lulumall.in/nri-shopping-festival/
- Super shopper contest- Anyone with the purchases amount of minimum 5000/- in a single day from single or multiple stores at LuLu Mall could participate in the “Super Shopper Contest.” During this contest, a total of 86 winners (54 daily winners, 30 weekly winners and 2 bumper winner) were selected. The promotion of the contest and winner announcement was executed through micro site, Facebook and Twitter pages of the mall.
Results Achieved by Lulu Mall
The Microsite and the promotional content posted on social media platforms became a hit among the target audience and played a leading role in increasing footfalls to the mall.
- Total page visits on Microsite- 6957
- Growth in social media likes- 26,104
- Engaged users- 8008 people reached
- Mall footfalls increased from 14,40,770 to 17,37,482
- Sales increased by 29%
Here is what Nishad MA (Director – LuLu Mall) has to say after this huge success- “I am extremely happy and proud that we have been able to create and sustain a global shopping experience response has been overwhelming and we are constantly constantly trying to exceed the expectation and imaginations of our customers through our products and services.”
The NRI Shopping Festival triumphed the “Online Retail Marketing Campaign of the Year” award at the Asia Retail Congress Award Ceremony. Kerala has truly became Shopping Paradise.
- To be loved and profitable at the same time, the brand should keep reinventing itself.
- LuLu Mall focused on broadening the target customer group by inviting NRI’s to be a part of their festival.
- The proper mix of traditional as well as digital marketing fetched unbelievable results for LuLu Mall.
- The main tool i.e. social media and other online platforms were used effectively to cater diversified audience
- Campaign months were selected keeping the holiday factor in mind. To reach out to the target audience comprising of NRIs and tourists who visited city in the month of July and august, ad campaigns were executed on Google and Facebook. This helped them reach total of 3,07,143 people and create 86,83,222 impressions. This is simple yet unconventional approach towards creating a wider audience.
- CONTENT IS THE KING- Since content marketing is one of the most influential methods in digital marketing, therefore, brands which are not leveraging on this mode of online marketing are on the losing end most of the times. Promotional content played a big role in the success of the campaign.
- Engaging and interacting with customers is one of LuLu Mall’s prime objectives.
- The role of content in the uplifting brand is crucial. Timely and brand-relevant content which evokes the interest of readers can help a company to create awareness and likeability of the brand.
Photo Credits: SocialSamosa.com and lulumall.in