Murtaza Adenwala has about 16.5 years of experience in managing digital initiatives across various digital media functions. Currently steering digital duties for Mahindra Holidays & Resorts.
Murtaza is a post graduate in information Technology, EMBA in marketing, M.Phil. in business management with additional specialization certifications in system management and Microsoft certified solution developer and now pursuing Ph.D in business management.
Importance of Digital Marketing
Prior to joining Mahindra Holidays, Murtaza was assigned role as G.M Ecommerce Go Air. Murtaza was responsible conceptualizing and implementation of online media strategy for distribution of products, promotions, driving traffic to www.goair.in through different facets of online channels like search engines, social media marketing, alliances, affiliate marketing, email marketing and Mobile marketing to meet the objective of increasing the web contribution of the total sales and reduce dependencies on OTA’s. Murtaza in his stint with GoAir re-engineered the entire website development for GoAir with futuristic features that aims to provide superior customer experience. In his Journey with GoAir he is also developed and launched the mobile app.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Murtaza Adenwala: I got an opportunity to revive digital in India in early days of 2000 just after the dot.com burst when I was working with Grey Worldwide. Technology and business can complement each other in the best way possible and digital encompassed technology and business both.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Murtaza Adenwala: Conventional marketing has no subjective media metrics for measuring media impact. There are standard tools to measure TV, print campaigns Impact. Conventional marketing uses largest single source of discovering consumer attitudes, motivations, media habits and purchase behavior.
It’s definitely a threat to conventional marketing with digital platforms like Youtube competing with TV and online PR and news sites competing with print.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
- KLM Airlines marketing Meet and Sea: The meet and seat campaign objective was to offer passengers a choice of seat-mates by accessing each other’s Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. If passengers so chose to participate, their Facebook and LinkedIn profiles were linked to their check-in information which was shared with other passengers also choosing the service.?
- Tourism Queensland, Best Job in the World: Tourism Queensland offered ‘The Best Job in the World’ – working for six months as ‘Island Caretaker’ on the beautiful beaches of Queensland?
- Shaadi.com ‘#NotForSale: This summer, Shaadi.com, one of the biggest online matrimonial site introduced its digital campaign titled #NotForSale. The campaign was a social initiative crafted to build an understanding that Indian men are not for sale in the marriage market.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Wrong success metrics assigned for digital platforms: optimal utilization of the channel; strength?
- Organizations lack digital vision: foggy direction teams working is opposite directions
- Investments in the resources and right technology: High attrition due to limited bandwidth and lack in business efficiency
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Murtaza Adenwala: Agency approach is beneficial as clients don’t have to build end to end digital skills set and infrastructure.
How do you ensure increasing Digital Marketing’s relevance and influence in the organization?
Constant training programs on the new waves of digital and its futuristic approach and case studies of organization that are completely digital enabled.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
- Social Bakers
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
To build cost efficiencies to reduce over heads and boost bottom-line. Also providing superior consumer experience.
Expansion of knowledge and skills to open new career opportunities.
Exposure to cybercrime and how it can be avoided and to surf safely. Also, enhance General Knowledge.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
Murtaza Adenwala: Attitude, Passion for change, Skill, values
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Murtaza Adenwala: Get adapted to dynamism and set the attitude to learn daily
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Murtaza Adenwala: Connect with thought leaders on a regular basis and hear their success stories. IAMAI, TechCrunch, SEOland , Emarketer phocuwright, forrester.
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Murtaza Adenwala: Girish Nair, Sabeer Bhatia, Rakshit Tandon
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Murtaza Adenwala: I see digital marketing creating an evolution and a revolution in the way consumers will discover and experience the products and provoke the brands to think differently.
- Customize consumer offering according to their predictive signs of search, research, drop out, purchase.
- Investment in predictive analytics to create customize consumer offering in anticipation to their browsing behavior/demand.
- Adoption of digital transformation projects by the business
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Murtaza Adenwala: My image about Digital Vidya,
- Knowledge and Wisdom transfer institution.
- Making the CXO community understand the real usage of digital in the business growth.
- Building skill set of freshers who aspire to make their career in digital.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).