Aaron has been in the Digital marketing field for 5 years now, 3+ years in digital media and 2 in B2B digital marketing. His current profile is a 90% digital role and a is a key factor in achieving monthly targets in the company.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Aaron K: Digital marketing will be a threat in the future for conventional marketing but traditional customers in tier 2 and tier 3 cities still believe in traditional advertisements on newspapers and magazines. With the penetration of the internet and the availability of content in all languages online, this will soon change. The more Jio penetrates inside rural India, the higher the growth for digital marketing.
Share about your 3 favourite Integrated Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
- Building a customer pipeline through Linkedin and closure with traditional phone calls: With Linkedin’s super specific targeting we can get the right people to sign up but a traditional sales pitch was required to make them do their final purchase to/attend the event.
- Event ticket sales or roadshows: With Linkedin’s super specific targeting we were able to get the right audience to show interest in our events and even if they didn’t purchase the ticket, we had enough data to retarget or call them to make them reconsider.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Zero Marketing Budget: They lose all their potential clients to competitors.
- Deep Pockets (Over spend): Spending their money to get the same person back over and over again without a focus on the product to gain customer loyalty with features.
- All in on Digital Marketing: Most companies tend to put all their bets in one bucket, which is digital marketing with an investment on CRM or efficient sales teams. Marketing is good for creating leads and not closures.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for the maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Aaron K: In-house makes more sense as the team would understand the vision of the project or campaign better than an external agency.
How do you ensure increasing Digital Marketing’s relevance and influence in the organization?
Aaron K: I think in the current digital age, everyone already understands the importance of digital marketing and its relevance in the growth of the company.
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
For Entrepreneurs: It’s important for them to understand digital marketing to build their strategies around it and also understand the work of their marketing teams better.
For Professionals: It’s important as it will help them plan their objectives better and leverage digital marketing to enable it.
For Students: It’s a fast-growing industry and they should know about their potential job opportunities.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
- Good Content Skills
- Fast thinker
- Someone who loves to read, the marketing is evolving and this is very important.
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in the Digital Marketing industry?
Aaron K: Digital marketing is more than just writing quirky social media copies.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Aaron K: Read more about it on various blogs like HubSpot and marketing experts like Seth Godin.
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Aaron K: Seth Godin, Guy Kawasaki and Brian Dean.
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2019?
- More focus on vernacular content.
- Focus on emailers and subscriptions.
- Build loyalty rather showing big numbers.
Would you like to share a few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Aaron K: I think Digital Vidya is doing a great job in educating the next generation with the principles of digital marketing which is important for their career and in the process create entrepreneurs.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).