Deepesh Sharma started his career as an entrepreneur, that was his origin as a Digital Marketer. Having keen interest in creativity he started his company in the 3rd year of his engineering named Editings.in. Deepesh used to take a lot of projects on Video Creation, Video Editing, Video Marketing etc. majorly for the US market. Given he was working online taking projects and delivering them online, he wasn’t much aware about SEO, SEM, Affiliate Marketing etc., but they worked really well for him at that time, gave numerous projects. It was just a start which he did in his spare time in college, he was clear to make a business really successful. Those two years gave him his career route. It was Digital Marketing; he wanted to be a Digital Marketer.
Many of his friends were not clear with what to do in life ahead, many joined Infosys, TCS etc. He was fortunate enough that he pursued his goal. Deepesh worked for 6 months in an Ecommerce company in Jaipur. Then, he got an offer from Digital Vidya, which is the pioneer in Digital Marketing Education. Surely being an entrepreneur has its own advantages and experience, but he didn’t want to miss out learning & working on Digital Marketing for the company who owns it. He decided to join Digital Vidya as Digital Marketing manager. And now he takes care of complete Digital Strategies for Digital Vidya. His KRA’s include Lead Generation, Customer Acquisition, using Inbound Marketing, Email Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Media buying and other paid or non-paid campaigns with a lot of analytical decisions.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Deepesh: Given I was working online taking projects and delivering them online, I wasn’t much aware about SEO, SEM, Affiliate Marketing etc. but they worked really well for him at that time, gave numerous projects. Those two years gave him his career route. It was Digital Marketing; he wanted to be a Digital Marketer.
Implementing campaigns real time interests me a lot in Digital Marketing. Almost everything in Digital Marketing is measurable using data and analytics. How much a specific campaign impacts the sales or conversion could be measured if date is read correctly and accordingly strategize and take decisions.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- A lot dependency on agencies: I have worked with numerous brands, and when I see them working with agencies, I feel it is necessity to know digital marketing for the brand themselves. This would help in just multiplying the results.
- Not focusing on CPA: while working with affiliate or on any other paid campaigns, I see people look for Cost per Visits, or Cost per Lead. They miss out measuring Cost per Acquisition on the final acquisition or sales. Although the best time to calculate CPA for a campaign is after 1 month, when the campaign is fully launched and whatever conversion were going to happen has happened in the period. The analysis for CPA could give end to end complete picture of the campaign and help the marketer to put budgets effectively.
- Assumptions over analytics: Let me share it with an example: Many brands think of spending too much on Social Media, only because everyone is doing so. As a Digital Marketer for your brand you need to decide how much to invest across different campaigns. Many of times we assume that getting on social media is cool, everyone is doing this. But you need to decide is it really giving you ROI? Look for analytics which social media channel gives highest returns, which campaign gives better results and take decisions from Analytics rather than assumptions.
Which are your 3 favourite Digital Marketing Tools?
Deepesh: Into Digital Marketing there are a lot of things one can work on. And I love exploring new tools.
I love marketing automation; my belief is don’t involve human intervention if it could be done automatically. It would save the resource to do something more fruitful, at the same time you can save a lot of time, money, reduce error and a lot other benefits. And that is why I love the tool Zapier. It is one of the tool every marketer would love, this tool doesn’t have any comparison to any other tool. Other than Zapier, I like Google Analytics & Sengrid the most. Google Analytics help me optimize, analyze the performance of my various campaigns. And Sendgrid being an email marketing service gives me highest ROI.
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
Deepesh: I am privileged to experience all the 3 things:
- For Students: I didn’t had that much options to learn Digital Marketing in my college time. Engineers are multitasking individuals, it helped me a lot and I am sure Digital Marketing is one of the tempting Career option students have today.
- For Entrepreneurs: To make any business successful today in the online world, Digital Marketing is a necessity for every Entrepreneur.
- For Professionals: Digital Marketing is necessity of every sales or marketing job today too. Even if in your job you use traditional sales or traditional marketing, having a secondary skill of Digital Marketing would always keep you on upper hand.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Deepesh: The 3 resources/communities I follow are:
- Mashable: It is a platform keeps me updated with the latest buzz happening in Digital Space. Almost every morning I spend atleast 15 mins on Mashable.
- Warrior Forum: Another very relevant community is Warrior Forum. Participating in conversations there help me with tips and tricks into Digital Marketing.
- Fiverr: It’s a platform every Digital Marketer should definitely explore. You would find people providing gigs in just 5$. You need to be smart enough to choose the right freelancer and if you can do that, this is a place could save your hundreds of dollars to implement campaigns when you need freelancers.
Share the names of 3 people/communities you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Deepesh: I like Neil Patel. Although at times he overhypes his campaigns but surely he creates a buzz around that. He is surely one of the best Digital Marketer influencers in today’s world.
Mashable being second, as a 15 min glimpse over Mashable gives me complete information regarding what’s happening in the Digital Space.
Travis Kalanick, CEO Uber. I am just a fan of this guy. Since the time it came in India, metros like Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Hyderabad or other cities like Jaipur, Pune, Ahmedabadetc has been transformed into local transportation.
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Deepesh: Digital Media is the next biggest thing happening. It is a necessity for brands today. Companies has just transformed the way they used to work earlier. A few trends I foresee in 2016 are:
- It has already started happening, but I believe something more transformational is going to happen with the Mobile world.
- Data driven marketing would create a bent into how businesses gonna work.
- You led the webinar ‘Email Marketing Is Not Spamming: It’s An ROI Generator’. How was your experience in leading the webinar?
Deepesh: I have led numerous webinars in the past and just like those, this one was wonderful too. It was great to share my learnings & experiences in Email Marketing with more than 300 people who registered for the webinar. It felt great to lead this webinar and train participants some of whom were Digital Marketers from companies like Deutsche Bank, Philips, HCL Technologies, Info Edge (Naukri.com), IBM, India Today Group, BMW, Axis Bank, Make my trip, Lenovo, OLX, IndiaMart, UAE Exchange etc. along with my classmates from IIM Lucknow.
Please share top 3-5 takeaways from the Webinar you led for our community.
Deepesh: A few of the recommendations to all Digital Marketers/Email Marketers are as below:
- Your subscribers are humans, treat them well, don’t spam them.
- Design your message in a way user love to read it and they get some real value.
- Try out AB split test, you could just multiply the conversion you get from email marketing easily.
Email marketing is the source of highest ROI, use it effectively.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Email Marketing? Start your journey by enrolling for our Email Marketing Certification.