KFC is the No. 1 restaurant brand on Social Media. Their Digital Mantras for Success is
- Feedback Fanatics
- Innovative and Interactive Campaigns.
They advocated publishing user generated content with apps like Radio KFC RJ Hunt and Design Your Own Bucket Campaign
Radio KFC RJ Hunt Campaign:
Radio KFC is an exclusive radio channel which plays music only in KFC stores across India. It plays the world’s most popular music like Rock, Pop, HIP – HOP, House
Objective of the Campaign:
- All KFC outlets to have KFC Radio channel
- To popularise KFC across India.
- KFC created a Facebook app, KFC RJ Hunt and encouraged its Facebook users to participate in this contest. Their mission was to search suitable RJ for its radio channel.
- When users logged in to the app, a visually appealing virtual radio station opened in front of them. They needed to enter the app through the button Audition Here. Inside the app they were required to introduce themselves and record a demo of their voice. The radio station had all the necessary buttons like record, pause and play. Users were also encouraged to add cool background music and funky sound effects through the console. Once you finish recording, the app would play the demo. While submitting, app asked for the participant’s name, email id and mobile number to facilitate further communication.
- Users who were finding technical problems in recording their voice samples were given an additional option of recording through a toll – free number 1800 123 1055.
- Fans can listen to the uploaded videos and vote for their favourite RJ.
- Winners were flown down to Mumbai from various cities to record in a professional studio. These winners are infact the RJ’s that millions of customers hear in various KFC outlets.
- Over 3000 RJ’s from 30 Indian cities recorded the demos.
- During the period of the campaign 170k new likes were added on the Facebook page.
- App was also featured as the biggest social media campaign by the biggest blogs.
- Campaign created positive buzz and engaged with millions of fans especially the youth.
- KFC got new, updated and valuable data consisting of email ids and telephone nos. which can be used for promotions.
Design Your Own Bucket Campaign:
To launch a new tagline ‘So Good’ KFC India came up with an innovative theme wherein they created a Design Your Own Bucket App on Facebook.
Fans got a chance to design their own unique KFC bucket. For this they could select varied colours and designs from the painting tools. They could even upload an image to beautify the bucket. At the end they had to add their ‘So Good’ moment. Three winners were selected at the end of each week. Winners got smartphones and other exciting prices.
- Fans got a chance to unleash their creative side while designing their own bucket.
- 5500 participants registered through the app
- During the period of the campaign Facebook page received record number of likes and engagement levels were very high.
- Fans got an opportunity to associate with KFC is an altogether new way
The Secret of a great relationship is listening. KFC listens to its customers and ensure that every feedback is addressed.
Innovative and Interactive campaigns:
With cutting edge technology and whacky indigenous ideas KFC created unique experiences for its customers with campaigns like CurryCature – a fun and quirky way to bring out the Indian in the western youth of today and An Augmented reality Wow app, a quick scan on an Indian currency note and fans behold the wow menu options. The app received over 35k downloads and became No. 1 on the iTunes app store in the food and drinks category.
KFC currycature campaign is aimed at promoting its new dish Curry Crunch Chicken to its Indian audience.
To promote this new dish KFC designed a new Facebook app wherein fans could create currycature of themselves. They can select a character from several options like Curry Singh, Curry Rathod, Curry Appa, Curry Dada etc. which they can easily associate with. Females fans also got to select from options given by KFC. Once the fan pick his/ her favourite character, app asked to upload a face image which will be superimposed on the character. To make the character more interesting fans were provided with accessory list which included moustache, turbans, sunglasses, bindis, nose-rings, earring etc. Once the styling is done fans could submit their entry by giving their name, email id and mobile number. Lucky currycatures would win exciting prizes like iPhone 4S, a Sony Cyber shot camera and vouchers worth Rs.2500/-
- App was visually appealing and attracted the attention of the fans. They were amused to see currycature image of themselves.
- 17k currycatures were created by fans
- KFC posted regular updates for which they received lot of likes and generated increased engagement
- Updated database of email ids and mobile numbers can be used for CRM purposes.
Augmented Reality Wow App
KFC faces tough competition from McDonalds. Its Happy Price Menu further lured lot of customers. To address this challenge KFC designed special menus for the Indian audience. To educate its customers of its affordable price menu KFC designed an out of box currency campaign.
KFC developed a Wow app. Fans can go to through this app and scan Indian currency notes. KFC Wow menu pops up based on the amount on the currency notes. Fans also played an entertaining quiz to win fabulous prizes.
- Fans loved this currency menu theme
- The app received over 35k downloads and became No. 1 on the iTunes app store in the food and drinks category.
As a result of all these campaigns KFC was featured as a No. 1 devoted brand on Social Media. Overall positive sentiment on their Facebook page moved to 92.6%. Engagement rates are thrice the sector average. Unmetric report crowned KFC as the true social media king of QSR’s in India. With 5 million fans and counting KFC is amongst the top 5 Social Media brands in the country and boy it feels so good.
Image Credits: article.wn.com, business2community.com, freebiesworldz.com, rediff.com, youtube.com