Digital Marketing moves at the speed of light. To match the pace, you require a solid foundation with the judgment to think fundamentally, act autonomously, and be perseveringly imaginative. That is the reason I composed this guide about “how does digital marketing work”— to engage you with the strategies important for working in digital marketing, to stay ahead in this highly aggressive and equally competitive industry.
Who this “How Digital Marketing Works” Guide is for:
I composed this guide for the first-time digital marketers, digital marketing experts, experienced business people, entrepreneurs, digital marketing managers, content marketing, social media marketers, etc.- Who are needing resources on “how digital marketing works” to prepare their result-oriented internet marketing strategy. The majority of all, I want you to walk away from this guide with flying-colors, feeling certain about your digital marketing strategy.
A center thought that I wish to strengthen is that marketing ought to be assessed comprehensively. Reading this guide will help you understand working in digital marketing. It will further aid you connect different channels of digital marketing to ensure increase ROI.
“Average marketers think in campaigns. They work all week, push out a campaign, then start again from scratch next week. That will only take you so far. To get to the next level, you need to start thinking in systems and build a marketing machine. This is the only way to 10x your growth and then 10x it again.” – LARS LOFGREN, Growth Manager, KISSmetrics.
Let’s understand how you can build your digital marketing machine in 5 easy steps-
5 steps to know how Digital Marketing Works
1.) Stay laser focused on your customers
Marketing is based on strategic maneuvers, and to succeed, you require exceptionally focused objectives. You require a structure for a versatile, replicable system- It doesn’t make a difference whether you’re a novice or an expert advertiser — this reality will dependably remain constant.
On the off chance that you keep running without being focused, you’ll wind up squandering two of your organization’s most important resources: time and cash.
Each marketing strategy ought to begin with your client base. Who are the general population utilizing your item? What do these people esteem, what items would they are currently utilizing, what they feel about your brand and what will it take to convince them to sign up as paying clients?
- Finally, it doesn’t make a difference whether you’re running on the web promotions, email advertising efforts, or retargeting your clients on Facebook. What is important is that your organization’s advertising group sets up the correct frameworks to fabricate bona fide, human-to-human bonds with the purchasers you’re attempting to reach. The way to effective Internet marketing is your capacity to pick the most ideal channels for accomplishing that true objective.
- There has never been a one-measure-fits-all-client kind of scenario. Your purchasers are exceedingly differing and will show their own particular inclinations, identity attributes, and needs. If you are working in digital marketing, you need to achieve every single one of these client fragments.
- The initial step to any digital marketing strategy is to set up your client personas- These are the behavioral, psychological and demographic attributes of your purchasers.
- To make a laser focused strategy, start with the following questions:
- What are your ordinary clients’ roles? In case you’re offering a B2B item or administration, what are their job titles?
- Do these people have basic decision-making and leadership authority? On the off chance that yes, do they still counsel others? If not, who has the last say?
- Now, you need to comprehend persona of your clients on an individual level by distinguishing their key identity attributes:
- Demographic characteristics:
- Job title
- Where they’re located (city, suburb, rural)
- Key professional attributes:
- Responsibilities associated with this buyer persona’s job
- The top problems/pain points they’re facing that your company can help solve
- Highest job priorities/responsibilities in this buyer persona’s direct area of influence
- What actions the buyer may have already taken to solve their key problems
- Several perceived barriers to the above problems
- Years in this role
- Who do they report to
2.) Build your Marketing Framework & Develop Story of your Brand
You would not manufacture an online application without wire framing the UX accurately. In same very way, you wouldn’t burn through six figures on a house without comprehending what you’re actually purchasing.
“Shooting darts in the dark is not a marketing strategy.” – JESSICA OMAN via Firepole Marketing
To build a successful marketing strategy, Figure out how to position your marketing methodology into an economical, ROI-oriented digital marketing strategy for your brand image. Gone are the times of shallow marketing. Use metrics to construct a strong revenue-generating medium as then digital marketing works in the most accomplished fashion. This is what you do to demonstrate your advertising project’s ROI:
- You need to state the campaign costs
- Then you should state the revenues that resulted directly from your campaign
- Now, you need to describe the tracking process
- Once you do this, you need to state the number of leads and sales generated from the marketing initiative and then state the maximum profitable cost-per-lead (max CPL)or cost per acquisition (max CPA)
- Now, you need to use statistically meaningful numbers — small sample sizes generate misleading analyses
- Finally, you should establish a control group to benchmark the success of your campaigns
Now, develop your Brand’s Story- Storytelling is a powerful technique for building relationships
- Human-to-human inter-relations are the heart and soul of any digital marketing strategy. At the end of the day, while working in digital marketing, you are dealing with people— your organization is tackling issues, mitigating pain points, and giving delightful client encounters. Income is something that occurs as a byproduct of a sound marketing plan and a positive client encounter.
- Story telling is an age-old concept that unites people together and keeps them engaged.
Brand storytelling is:
- The reason why your company came to be
- What motivates your team to wake up and come to work everyday
- How your product came to be
- What types of customers find value in working with your brand and why
- A transparent view into the people behind the company
- A relationship-building tool
- More subtle than you realize
- A concept that underscores your entire web presence
- Something that your entire team, at organizational levels, embraces
- A look into who you are as a company
- Contrary to the mainstream thinking, brand storytelling is not mainly about your organization. It’s about your clients and the value that they get when they are drawing in with your products and administrations. The most intense brand stories are the ones that organize clients as the stars. Think about your organization as a supporting character.
For effective brand story-
- Forget about marketing- “Brand stories are not marketing materials. They are not ads, and they are not sales pitches. Brand stories should be told with the brand persona and the writer’s personality at center stage. Boring stories won’t attract and retain readers, but stories brimming with personality can.”- SUSAN GUNELIUS via Forbes
- Be Conversational- Validness is vital to copywriting. In case, you’re excessively formal or on watch, you’ll lose trust with your target audiences on the grounds that buyers can detect insincere informing from miles away.
“Honesty and transparency are important in brand storytelling. Yes, you’re crafting ‘stories,’ but they need to be rooted in the reality of your brand, products, and industry”– SUSAN GUNELIUS via Forbes
- Craft your Message Architecture- “A message architecture is a hierarchy of communication goals that reflects a common vocabulary. It might be a concise outline of five attributes, each with sub-bullets that clarify meaning and add color. Those attributes and terms reflect a broader discussion to establish concrete, shared terminology — not just abstract concepts that fall apart outside the hallowed halls of marketing”- MARGOT BLOOMSTEIN, Content Strategy Consultant via the Openview’s Blog
3.) Ensure Traffic Acquisition & Conversion Optimization
You have made an astonishing site, befitting online retail store, and great mobile application. Your target audiences adore you, and you have the great reviews to advertise- Now What?
“It doesn’t matter how slick your website looks: If no one comes to it, good luck building that Web business.”– JOHN BRANDON via Inc
You need to effectively consider how you will draw in new guests to your site. You have to manufacture your traffic acquisition strategies. From paid channel marketing to content advertising, you have a scope of alternatives for you.
There are a few important “free” traffic drivers (otherwise called natural or referral traffic drivers) in online marketing. These incorporate following channels:
- Public Relations: Build associations with writers/journalists to pick up visibility in media channels. Associate with top sites in your industry to contribute content and thought leadership in the interest of your brand image.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Develop a procedure to enhance your site’s visibility in SERPs. At the point when forthcoming clients are searching for the information on the web, your organization ought to be the person on call for these inquiries.
- Social Media: Develop an effective presence on social media platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Quora and Pinterest. Concentrate on the social networks that best position your association to achieve targets.
- Blogging: Share thought leadership and your skills of working in your industry with the help of blogging. Your company blog can help you become one of the most trusted resources for your kinds of audiences.
- Video Marketing: Create effective and engaging videos to explain your products and to tell the story behind your brand is another effective way of digital marketing work. Branded videos also aid in offering more entertainment value.
- Content Syndication: If you do not have an audience for your blogs or videos or the content that you are producing then you can house them on your blog, and disperse it through a site, video channel (e.g. YouTube) or publication, with a larger audience base. An extent of these viewers that you reach will discover their way back to your site.
- Email Lists: Bringing guests to your site just once isn’t sufficient. You have to retain them and keep them coming back. An email rundown can help you achieve this objective. For example, each time your organization distributes a blog entry, you can send a notification to your readers, as given in following example-
Try to find Customers, not Traffic
Traffic acquisition is just a half portion of your marketing strategy- In expansion to bringing visitors to your site; you need to retain them and keep them there. In addition to that, you need to convert them from intrigue prospects to loyal customers, and your site needs to propel the relationship forward (and take of the business).
You wanted to know how digital marketing works- Digital Marketing firstly empowers you to target your audiences, and then it helps your convert your first-time visitors into repeat buyers through conversion optimization.
- Conversion optimization is a digital marketing specialty of converting new website visitors into paying customers. In addition, it converts first-time customers into repeat buyers in a well-targeted fashion.
- Website visitors go through a series of steps before converting into paying customers or repeat buyers. These steps will vary based on your business model, industry, and product/service price points. Your job as a marketer is to understand these natural paths and make the process seamless.
- Your website guests go through a series of different means before changing over into paying clients or repeat purchasers. These means will shift in view of your plan of action, industry, and item/service prices, etc. Working in Digital Marketing demands you to comprehend these regular ways of digital marketing and make the procedure consistent.
- An example of a typical conversion funnel:-
- Conversion optimization is a blended discipline that incorporates Psychology, Copywriting, Design, Analytics and A/B testing.
4.) Get found by using right Search Engine Optimize strategies
“SEO is the practice of improving and promoting a website in order to increase the number of visitors the site receives from search engines. There are many aspects to SEO, from the words on your page to the way other sites link to you on the web. Sometimes SEO is simply a matter of making sure your site is structured in a way that search engines understand.”– MOZ
Key Elements of SEO-
- Webmaster Tools as they help you
- In telling search engines to index your website
- In evaluating your internal links
- In seeing the backlinks to the website
- In diagnosing and fixing problems
- In communicating with the Google Search Quality Team
- In seeing which keywords are driving traffic to your website
- In identifying crawl errors that are impacting your ability to show up in search
- Use Long Tail Keywords
“Choose 3 core keywords for your blog categories. Then, identify a list of secondary keywords that are slightly less competitive to support your high-level effort”– HEATHER ANNE CARSON, Onboardly Co-Founder
- Do effective keyword research
- Start a PPC Campaign
- Start Building Links
- Create a Facebook Fan Page
- Build Up your Twitter Profile
- Focus on PR
- Make Sure your Content is Exceptional
- create your strategy to drive conversions
5.) Use Content Marketing, Social Media Marketing, & Email Marketing
“Content Marketing is the art of creating and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire, and engage a target audience — with the objective of driving profitable customer action.” – The Content Marketing Institute
Content Marketing (CM) can be understood as an investment- It’s one of the most important parts of a larger DM framework. It needs strategic insight.
If rightly done- CM efficiently targets prospects across the entire conversion funnel. And that’s why your content marketing strategy ought to hold answerable to a standard set of success metrics. For effective content marketing, focus on-
“Social media is not just an activity; it is an investment of valuable time and resources. Surround yourself with people who not just support you and stay with you, but inform your thinking about ways to WOW your online presence”– SEAN GARDNER, Forbes #1 Social Media Power Influencer
Know more about Social Media Marketing!
“If you’re like me, the first thing you do when you wake up is grab your phone and check your email. I go through and delete all the unimportant emails so that when I get into the office, a fresh inbox awaits. However, when I see a subject that catches my eye, I typically read that email right away. That’s the power of email.”- STEVE P. YOUNG, via Unbounce
Know more about Email Marketing!
Aforestated 5 steps to know how digital marketing works will help you strategize your digital marketing campaigns, generate leads and ensure conversions in the well-organized and result-oriented fashion.
On concluding note, just focus on following words of wisdom-
- Don’t be hesitant to get completely out there
- Delight your clients on an individual level
- Have an impact
- Don’t be hesitant to have a go at something new and leverage offline channels
Have any doubts about working in Digital Marketing? Feel free to ask me in comments.