Sistema Shyam TeleServices Ltd. (SSTL) is a venture, involving equity participation by Sistema Joint Stock Financial Corporation of Russia (“SISTEMA JSFC”), the Russian Federation and the Shyam Group of India. Sistema JSFC is the majority shareholder in the Company. Approximately 2.5% equity stake is held by public.
With a strong focus on its “Data Centric; Voice Enabled” strategy, SSTL is one of the fastest growing telecom companies in the Indian telecom market and is one of the top three data service providers in the country. The Company provides telecom services under the brand MTS to over 10 million wireless subscribers including more than 1million High-Speed Mobile Broadband customers in over 450 towns across the country. MTS is well recognized in India and worldwide for its commitment to high quality and innovative telecom solutions. MTS has recently been ranked by Millward Brown as 82nd most valuable brand in the World.
Headquartered in Gurgaon, the Company has already invested over USD 3.6 billion in expanding its telecom network across the country.
Sistema Shyam Teleservices Limited India is a CDMA mobile service provider who are looking for customers for voice services and data services on REV A and REV B Technology and offer high-speed data experience to its customers. Sistema is a Russian Company and Shyam Teleservices is the Indian Company who had their presence in Telecom in Rajasthan as Rainbow.
To increase the brand awareness of its data service MBlaze through social media marketing tools by engaging users in a Virtual Durga Puja.
West Bengal and Kolkata Circles being the highest revenue earning circles for the company, the Marcom Team decided to engage its customers as well as use the Social Media as its main platform to reach out to internet users to create awareness about MBLAZE- a high speed date service provider.
Durga Puja being the biggest Festival of West Bengal, the company decided to use Facebook as the platform for engaging people of West Bengal.
The aim behind this campaign was to enable even NRIs of West Bengal to watch the online Durga Puja live through uploaded videos of famous puja pandals across the region and hence recommend their families of West Bengal to subscribe to MBLAZE in West Bengal.
Approach / Strategy Adopted:
- MTS Sharbojanin Durgotshab was a Facebook application created by the appointed agency of SSTL, Rediffusion Y&R. It was first of its kind venture by a telecom operator in Eastern India. It started in September 2011 on the day of Mahalaya which marks the beginning of 15 day festival of Durga Puja in East and closed with Bijoya or Dusshera.
- They created virtual Durga Puja and gave life to the characters of goddess Durga, Laxmi, Saraswati, Kartik, Ganesh, Mahishasur, mouse and peacock and lion.
- They used audio-video virals depicting the various features of Facebook like comment, share, profile pictures, thus providing an educational tool about Facebook. This heavy content on the organic page was published so as to attract viewers and generate fans.
- The characters created awareness of their presence through group and chatting among themselves on topics like food, music, art & cultural programs, fashion during the puja festival in the region.
- NRIs who were not been able to be present in Kolkata to enjoy the festivities were been able to be an active participant and witness the biggest festival online
- The application also functioned as a portal where people were encouraged to upload pictures of various Durga Puja pandals in their areas and share with viewers across the world.
Success was evident and fun factor of the application was its biggest selling point
- The application was followed extensively by users from India, UK and US with most active users being from the cities of East like Kolkata
- The application met the need of users separated by distance to enjoy and witness the celebrations & festivities of famous Durga Puja pandals in local cities of East
- Monthly Active Facebook users of more than 15k was created in a span of 15 days
- 963 Facebook fans
- This campaign won the Best Online Advertising award for the year 2011 by Srijan Samman, a renowned media house of Eastern India
- There had been a revenue growth of 32% for the company on data services during the period October to December.
This kind of online campaign on social media platform was able to reach out on a large scale to its target group across the globe, generating awareness of the newly launched Mblaze data service in India as well as spread the importance and significance of the festival of Durga Puja.
With a minimal budget of 5.5 lac, the company was able to achieve a phenomenal fan base thus creating awareness of the brand MTS and Mblaze among the data usage customers.
Image Credits: MTS, MTS Sharbojanin Durgotshob Facebook page