About Radio City:
Radio City 91.1 FM India’s first & leading FM brand has been synonymous with the category since its inception in 2001. The station has ruled the airwaves, by being No.1 in Mumbai & Bangalore for over 325+ weeks* and consistent No.2* across all operating markets, reaching out to over 2.2 crore listeners across the country. (*RAM & IRS)
Currently present in 20 cities in India, Radio City 91.1 FM is a pioneer in the industry with many innovative properties! They were the first to introduce humour on Radio with Babber Sher, First to launch agony aunt solving love problems with Love Guru, First to launch the biggest singing reality show with Radio City super Singer, First ever FM station to recognize the independent singers & musicians with Radio City Freedom Awards & First FM station to launch internet radio streams in India with 21 stations & counting! With out of the box innovations and ideas forming the crux of all the programming initiatives, Radio City 91.1 FM has been able to strike the right chord with the listeners making it amongst one of the top 2 radio stations across the country.
Independent Music is the new wave in Music. Radio City Freedom is the first Independent Online Radio Station that plays nonstop Indie Music. Music that surpasses genres, geographies and artists. While there was now a unified platform in the form of web radio – Radio City Freedom for promoting Independent Music and artists around the world, we decided to take it a step further and recognize the exemplary work done through the year by Indie artists and bands through the Radio City Freedom Awards. The objective is to promote fresh talent, encourage the diverse music genres across the globe and the online radio stream Radio City Freedom. 2014 saw the second season of the awards. The awards were an extension of celebrating quality independent music from around India and the Indian Diaspora, across genres and languages.
Under the aegis of Radio City Freedom, Radio City initiated the first-ever set of Independent Music awards – Radio City Freedom Awards.
Radio City Freedom Awards
The first Awards of its kind to felicitate the best in Independent Music across genres. An excellent platform for artists to showcase their best work to fans and dignitaries from the industry.
Digital was the only medium to reach out to all the artists around India and the Indian Diaspora and hence was used extensively at every phase of the event for getting in entries, promotion, voting & promoting the artists and the awards ceremony.
Also, as the event was an extension of the online Radio stream Radio City Freedom, for the very first time an award campaign was extensively carried out across the Web Radio Network as compared to the mainstream Radio.
There was an extensive promotion on the web radio network Radio City Fun Ka Antenna and Radio City Freedom and also on the Planetradiocity website & social media pages. There were 5 online partners for e.g. Songdew, IndiEarth, Oklisten, InroomRecords & Thane Hip Hop Movement and one magazine partner score for promotion. The online and magazine partners were selected basis on the target audience and catered to the Indie space.
The awards were spread across three phases.
Call for Entry Phase – a microsite was designed for artists to register and send in their entries. The artists from all around the world participated from around the world. They had to register online on the microsite and submit their entries. The microsite was the one-stop destination for all information on RCFA 2014.
- Banners were live on partner websites and PlanetRadiocity.com linking it to the microsite
- Emailers were sent out to all the artists and music labels
- Promotion on Facebook through posts and cover pics
- On Twitter, the hashtag #RadioCityFreedomAwardsto was created to generate awareness and ask for nomination. Also, a contest was run on Twitter and the hashtag was trending on India trends.
- Editorial content on PlanetRadiocity.com – interview of Indie artists, last year’s winners and the jury members and promoted heavily through social media.
- Web Radio – Promos on Radio City Freedom & Radio City Fun Ka Antenna. 2013 Winners’ special on Freedom Live featuring songs, audio bytes and live performances. 2014 RCFA Nomination Special on Freedom Live. Interview with artists.
All the entries were first screened and shortlisted by a panel of Interim Jury. The finalists were put up on the microsite for public voting. Each category had 2 winners each under the category: ‘People’s Choice Awards’ and ‘Judges’ Choice Awards’.
- Banners were live on partner websites and PlanetRadiocity.com asking people to vote
- Emailers were sent out to external database
- Promotion on Facebook through posts and cover pics were designed for each artist asking for votes for their social media page
- On Twitter, a content was run again & was trending on India trends
- Editorial content on PlanetRadiocity.com
- Web Radio – Promos on Radio City Freedom & Radio City Fun Ka Antenna. Jury Special on Freedom Live. Interview with Luke Kenny one of the Jury member.
Indie artists, bands, members etc. from the music fraternity and other guests graced the Grand Finale of the Radio City Freedom Awards 2014.
- Banners were live on partner websites and PlanetRadiocity.com saying watch out for the finale and the tune-in
- Emailers were sent out to external database promoting tune-in
- Promotion on Facebook through posts and cover pics
- Live tweeting from the venue tagging the winners
- Editorial content on PlanetRadiocity.com.
- Web Radio – Promos on Radio City Freedom & Radio City Fun Ka Antenna. RCFA 2014 Special on Freedom Live including songs, audio bytes and live performances. Interview with Raghu Dixit. Audio bytes at the red carpet of RCFA 2014 by winners and performers.
- Post the telecast the artist performance video was uploaded on the PlanetRadiocityYoutube channel and promoted through social media.
In a span of just 20 days, Radio City received more than 450 registrations from across the country. Entries were also received from artists like Brodha V, F16s, Dualist Inquiry, AnishSood, Nischay Parekh, etc.
During the voting phase, around 10k votes across all categories were received.
Digital played a very important role and was extensively used to get in nominations, votes and for promotion.
Total views on the RCFA microsite – 90k (http://www.planetradiocity.com/rcfa/)
The Awards Finale was telecasted on NDTV Prime on 17th Dec 2014. Raghu Dixit, Faridkot, Brodha V & Grain with Karsh Kale performed for the awards function. The event was a milestone for independent music, being the first ever Independent Music Awards to be telecast in India!
Image Credits: Radio City 91.1