Britannia Industries Limited is an Indian food-products corporation based in Bangalore, India, founded in 1892. It is a leading food company in India with over Rs. 6000 Crores in revenues, delivering products in more than 5 categories through 3.5 million retail outlets to over half the Indian population. Their key priority across portfolios is on healthy, fresh and delicious food and they are the First Zero Trans-fat Company in India. Their products are also delivered through the Britannia Nutrition Foundation to fight against malnutrition among underprivileged children.
Britannia Dairy started in 1997. Today Britannia Dairy products contribute close to 10% of the company’s revenue.
Their relentless focus on quality and freshness has won them many prestigious accolades.
Britannia is known as one of the most trusted, valuable and popular brands among Indian consumers.
BRITANNIAS’ BUSINESS OBJECTIVE:
- To establish the change in visual identity (logo, packaging and cookie) of “Good Day” to bring freshness and enhance its appeal with the consumers.
- To communicate the new positioning of Good Day: “It’s a smile that makes a Good day”
- Make the brand “Good Day” relevant for new age customers
Britannia launched a massive 360 degree integrated campaign (With the help of Graffiti Collaborative agency).
STRATEGY ADOPTED BY BRITANNIA:
360 degree communication plan – Britannia built their communication plan using digital as the primary medium. They also used traditional mediums of print and television to support the digital plan and aligned back to the same. Britannia used multiple digital platforms for Impact and continuity approaches.
Impact properties leveraged to rapidly communicate the change to a large Good Day franchise
– YouTube and Yahoo masthead and the MSN and Gaana roadblock
– 5 sec stings on YouTube
– YouTube pre-rolls with TVC to build multiplicity
Mediums used continuity approach to drive registry of the change elements
– Facebook with contextual messages leveraging the new visual identity
Leveraged Key festivals & occasions to drive home the new visual identity
– Instagram – Launched the channel for the brand
– Display banner ad network
Traditional mediums of hoarding, TVC, and radio were used to reinforce the messaging and create a 360 degree reach – all integrated very strongly with digital.
Two phases of communication – Changing communication of a brand having a long past is always challenging. There are high chances of alienating the customers. To make this process easier, they broke down the communication into two clear phases over 40 days.
The first phase was to communicate the initial visual identity change focusing on three primary things – change in logo, change in pack change and change in product design.
The second phase was to reinforce the message of smile association with the brand. Britannia used World Smile Day as the marquee calendar event to own smiles in India. This campaign was supported by activities like activations, videos, social media creatives.
Mix of high impact and repeated exposure properties/content – The launch of communication and WSD Wcampaigns were created to generate high impact on properties like YouTube & Yahoo masthead and MSN & Gaana roadblocks. This was assisted by multimedia content across channels for repeated exposure to register the association of smile.
Phase I: Visual Identity Change
The theme of this phase of communication was ‘Har Cookie Mein Kayi Smiles’ – many smiles in every cookie. It lasted over ten days from 26th Aug – 5th Sep, 2015. Three focused creative concepts were created to be used across channels – Change in logo, cookie design and pack.
High Impact properties as mentioned below were used to maximize the reach of the communication.
- YouTube Masthead
- MSN Roadblock
- Gaana Roadblock
A total of 34.4M impressions were delivered through these properties with a 1m clickthroughs. For the identity change, the TVC was first launched on digital and run for maximum reach, which resulted in impressions amounting to 11M video views.
Other online channels were used to reinforce the message of change.
- Facebook creatives and gif videos
- YouTube 5 sec bumper ads – It was a breakthrough for any brand to use bumper ads successfully to communicate brand relaunch. All three concept of change in logo, cookie and pack were run, which generated a total of 66M impressions.
- Display Ad networks
Phase II: World Smile Day
World Smile Day is celebrated internationally on the first Friday of October – 2nd Oct, 2015. Britannia Good Day (BGD) brought the celebration closer to home. They used World Smile Day (WSD) as the biggest marketing event of 2015 building brand relevance with smile.
Very surprising fact was discovered during their research on the relaunch: India ranks 117 on World Happiness Index – lower than some of our neighbors! Smile indicates happiness. And if Indians starts smiling more, Britannia could make a humble attempt in improving India’s Happiness Quotient!
Britannia discovered the fact that Indian consumers are heavily influenced by celebrities. They selected 9 social media influencers who are genuinely loving and smiling people and used them as brand ambassadors to spread the awareness about World Smile Day and encourage Indians to smile more often!
With a purpose to spread more smiles, they also tied up with The Akshaya Patra Foundation – the leading NGO, which provides mid day meals in schools across India. For every smile picture uploaded, they donated a pack of Good Day cookies to the foundation. This activity helped them to build a huge traction online and generated a lot of conversations that associated the brand strongly with smiles.
The communication was also supported by ongoing topical messaging to build a brand recall around smiles across channels.
They did on ground activations during this phase to reiterate the message. On Ganesh Chaturthi, They created a Ganesha idol made of Good Day cookies. They also put up a slide at a busy metro station in Bangalore to make adults smile like children.
RESULTS ACHIEVED BY BRITANNIA:
At the end of the 40 days period, the brand saw a significant boost in its performance and perception. A large part of the result for the brand has been driven by the initiatives on the digital medium. Some of the overall larger goals achieved are as follows:
- Brand perception score on ‘Premium & attractive’ went up from 65 to 70
- The rebrand communication resulted in m-o-m sales growth of 23% as opposed to 18% in the last 6 months
- Market share went up for the first time in 6 months since April 2015
Specific channel related result:
- Organic Fans added in 40 days: 12,293 fans
- World Smile Day (Result – over 3 days):
- WSD – 261,505 engaged users
- Reach – 5.7M
- Impressions – 6.2M
- Video Views – 346k
- Organic followers added over 40 days – 841
- World Smile Day:
- Reach – 13.27M over 3 days
- Trended on World Smile Day for 8 hours straight with 5 hours in No. 1 position
- Mentions – 13,199 mentions over 3 days
Considering 2nd October was a busy calendar day, they did lose their trending to Ind vs SA in the evening. However, their one tweet brought back the trending! They took advantage of the match and its events and made it relevant for the brand.
- World Smile Day
- Video Impressions – 14.12L
- Video Views – 2.75L
- Microsite – World Smile Day
- Page Views – 41,857
- Followers added – 137
- World Smile Day – Impressions – 524,388
- Strategic integration of online and offline channels resulted into a more cohesive communication strategy. Digital amplifies the message and acts as a media proliferator.
- While influencer marketing is being used largely, only a strategy led, result oriented campaign actually delivers results.
Photo Credits: http://lighthouseinsights.in/britannia-good-day-relaunch-campaign.html/