Amit Panchal is now a Digital Marketing Consultant from Ahmedabad. He is an ardent Social Media influencer on social platforms like Facebook & Twitter. He is also woking with Blogmint as a Brand Ambassador for Twitter platform. He is part of Social Media Week events in India for Mumbai & Bangalore as a Social Media Strategist.
Besides, he also spares his quality time for Royal Enfield rides, Restaurants & other social activities like #DigiFuture (Co-Founder) where he gave sessions to Digital Marketing Rookies and those sessions are open for all in Ahmedabad. He is a courteous person. With that quality, he is also a co-founder of Blood Monk, a social initiative for donating and getting blood to the needy. He has been appreciated by wide range of media for this noble cause.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Amit: I completed Bachelor of Computer Applications in 2007 from Gujarat University. After that, did a course on E-Commerce and BPO Management from GLS CME. In E-Commerce, it had one chapter about SEO in it and by that it sparked my curiosity about it.
In March 2008, I started as a fresher in IndiaNIC Infotech Ltd. and now, I have experience in Digital Marketing for more than 8 years.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Amit: In conventional marketing there are certain aspects like people still prefer the human interaction or in other words, all they want is Human Interaction. But in Digital Marketing, it will become Global. In Digital Marketing, we can target the specific audience with geographic location.In
In future, people will be more aware about Digital Marketing. They surely will consider Digital Marketing over Conventional Marketing but it doesn’t mean Conventional Marketing is in Jeopardy. According to the market need, both will go hand-in-hand.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
- #WhyThisKolaveriDi: Four years ago, #WhyThisKolaveriDi broke the internet, going viral across social media. The song had made history as the first Indian music video to hit 100 million views on YouTube last week of December 2015. #WhyThisKolaverDi was trending in India on Twitter within 5 days. More than a million tweets, 3.6 million+ Facebook shares and 14k+ subscribers were added to the client’s YouTube channel, within a month. the video has more than 70 million views across 220 countries and was declared as the most watched song of the year 2011 on YouTube by CNN. All this online buzz earned media worth more than 67 million INR. With 2 Million + caller ring back tones downloaded, this meant huge revenue for the client even before the audio CD’s release.
- #55SecondsToLive: On 26th January 2012 Diesel of India run a Twitter campaign for their 55DSL brand using hashtag #55SecondsToLive. It was called “The Most Innovative Twitter Campaign”. It was trended for almost 3 days.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Today many organizations still believe in old link building techniques like Directory Submissions and generating number of backlinks with same Anchor Text to improve their website rankings. To solve this mentioned problem, they can try to build natural links from authority and well-known websites in an ethical way and focus on quality backlinks and not on quantity.
- Companies have ideas how to do Digital Marketing but still they don’t know how to Analyze it and Execute it in proper way.
- Many PR & Media related companies hire Social Media Influencers without checking that their followers are real or fake. The other thing is that they send same data to tweet or spread it over the Social Media Platforms to every Influencer they hire for the particular influencer activity.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Amit: If you’re a startup and you can’t afford agency you can go for in-house or hire Digital Marketing Consultant and If money is not a problem than you can go for Agency because they have a whole team to handle your Digital Marketing. Agency will manage whole campaign as per your requirements and you don’t have to involve or give your time to them. You can manage that time into your tasks which have top priorities.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
- Hootsuite: It allows you to manage & schedule posts for multiple Social Media profiles on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and more. Hootsuite is Free for up to 3 Social Network accounts.
- Google Keyword Planner: Best Keywords Research Tool available. You need and AdWords account to access it. This tool is primarily designed for paid search but has some value for SEO Keyword Research as well.
- SocialPilot: SocialPilot is an online social media scheduling and marketing tool for Individuals, eCommerce store owners, Online sellers and mobile apps developers.
- SEMRush: SEMRush has a ton of great tools that help both paid search experts and SEOs track and improve their search rankings
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs:
Entrepreneurs should have a Basic knowledge about Digital Marketing because when they want to hire an Agency, Consultant or In-House, they have to have a basic funda about How Digital Marketing affect their Business.
- For Professionals:
Professionals have to shell out of their shells and choose Digital Marketing over Conventional Marketing because they already have a grip in the market but if they want large audience coverage, they should hire an Agency for it.
- For Students:
Nowadays Students are more active in this Digital World. They can make a career in Digital Marketing. When Agency hire fresher they check if the candidate is socially active on Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. If they want to have a startup they can do basic Digital Marketing on their own for their startups.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Skills
- Pay-Per Click
- In-Bound Marketing
- Google Analytics and WebMaster Tools
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Keep learning from co-workers, blogs, social media and by attending events
- Build your personal brand
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Sometimes I get updates from the Digital Marketing Influencers on Social Media Platforms like Facebook, Twitter & Linkedin.
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
- Amish Keshwani
- Harekrishna Patel
- Boni Satani
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Amit: Surely, mobile marketing will boom because nowadays people books flight tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, movie tickets. They even paid their bills from mobile apps.
So, we have to focus more on mobile app advertising too.
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
I am a frequent reader of your blog, too. I personally learn lot of things from Digital Vidya. I think your work is outstanding. Freshers and Experts in the Digital Marketing can gain lot of knowledge from Digital Vidya. I appreciate Digital Vidya for this type of work. Digital Vidya will owe me forever and when Digital Vidya need any help than I will be the first one by your side to support.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).