Puneet Bhatia started his career with banking industry but shifted focus to Digital Marketing and E-Commerce in just 2 years. Since then, for last almost 9 years he is living in e-commerce and Digital Marketing world.
Started selling Crocs shoes online, in 2008, in India; then moved to Digital Marketing space in US travel industry for a year. Then, came the turning point, when he started living in e-commerce, with Myntra.com. Spent almost 4 years in Myntra and participated in every step of growth. Later moved to Zivame for leading marketing. Recently, he stepped-out of Foodpanda India after spending 11 months, as CMO.
Currently, he is working as Independent Consultant, advising businesses for the Digital Marketing, e-commerce and raising funds.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Puneet: Analytics and New economy pulled me in “Digital Marketing”. I know everyone can’t do miracles in Online World but one can definitely do well in using those Miracles like Google Search, Facebook and Twitter. All I had was courage to learn everything there in Digital space. I am still learning everyday.
Also, I love calling it “Performance Marketing” than “Digital Marketing” because here each penny spent is countable.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing?
Puneet: One of the biggest advantages which I see is TRUST. Digital marketing is growing at a very rapid pace but still few more years away from becoming TRUSTWORTHY channel. In this Digital age, I still prefer talking to customers and reaching where they are present physically. Online brand building will still take more time, but it will happen.
Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Puneet: Not really. Both has to go hand-in-hand. You can not expect a consumer to sit just in front of the PC or Mobile always. It is not gonna happen in atleast next 50 years. In my opinion, Digital and Conventional Marketing are helping hand for each other. One side, where conventional marketing has experience, the other side Digital has data and technology to apply it at the right place.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
Puneet: There are a lot but if you need 3 then, here they are…
- Mobile Marketing – This has become a new buzz word in marketing. Undoubtedly, the biggest reach and accessibility, Mobile marketing is favourite gossip topic for marketers.
- Domino’s Online store – Eating out, especially PIZZA which people would prefer having with family or friends, finally became so accessible.
- Growth Content Marketing – People started living online with this.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Not taking Conversion Rate seriously – Losing core business target. They lost, actual visitor who was brought to the store by Digital Marketing channels but could not be converted as a real Customer.
- Low focus on Performance Marketing – Spending Money on Digital, doesn’t mean the business will grow. Instead, spending on Performance marketing will ensure every penny is recovered.
- Relying only on Google Search – There is nothing bad here but Search should have real customers for your business. A little investment is required to build adequate search volume at least. A low search volume business can’t blame google search fro failure.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Puneet: In-House always. Agencies are good only if they are adding value, like; some kind of expertise and getting some low-cost efficiency building tools on-board. But otherwise marketing team should be in regular touch (almost hourly) with business and keep on improving things, experimenting etc. Metrics/Analytics should be in direct control of the business and not dependent on Weekly or monthly reports from Marketing agencies.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
Puneet: Adwords – Bid Management, Adwords – Editor, Adwyze.
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs: To keep track of every penny spent on marketing.
- For Professionals: To keep themselves up-to-date with latest changes happening in Marketing.
- For Students: To build career in challenging yet growing field of business.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
Puneet: Passion, Analytical, Explorer.
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Come, join and add value in the industry by experiments, developing new products and most importantly understanding the audience with help of data & not just surveys.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Puneet: Google Alerts
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
Puneet: Matt Cuts and Avinash Kaushik
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Puneet: Mobile is the future. Video will become alternate to text. Messengers like WhattsApp etc. will take people and businesses closer.
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Letting people know about Digital Marketing is an important thing, especially in a country like India, where people are still bound to those traditional approaches and living in traditional education trades. Giving Gyan (knowledge) about the new technology (Digital Marketing), Online, is real ice-breaking. With your help, businesses can get trained staff, which will be productive for business from Day 1.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).