Do you want to know how to start a blog?
Are you confused about choosing a free blog or paid one?
–Then this post will help you understand everything in 5 simple steps.
No technical expertize is needed – & – it is going to be much simpler than what you have ever imagined.
However, before going into those steps, it is important here to understand why you should start a blog-
Reasons to Start a Blog-
When you want to know how to start a blog, the very first thing is, knowing why you want to start a blog.
Below given are some of the reasons-
- Your blog will help you make full-time income via blogging (it is a tough task but once you master blogging, it would be the best way to make money from your blog and generate passive income in a risk-free manner)
- You can become a published author and have a good online presence. This will convince offline publishers to print your books as your wide audience base would be the sure shot customers of the printed book authored by you
- Blogging can help you ensure better exposure for your existing business
- If you love writing then knowing how to start a blog will give your thoughts a podium to engage, inspire and encourage others and build a community
If any of the aforestated reasons would benefit your endeavor, you can think of starting a blog.
Now the next thing that comes in the process is- Can you start a blog free? –And the answer is yes, you can create a free blog.
However, a free blog will serve the purpose if it is a hobby only, but in case you want to make money from your blog or want to use it for some serious/business purposes then the free blog would never fulfill the purpose.
Free blogs only have some basic features that will restrict you when you start growing your blog reach and audience base.
Free blogging platforms restrict you when it comes to having flexibility and expandability of blogs to generate more conversions and returns. You would also be restricted in doing everything that some successful bloggers do. Adding more features and services to your free blog would also be onerous that can o turn costly as well.
Therefore, in this ‘how to start a blog’ guide, you will learn to create a blog that will never restrict you in widening your reach and generating more returns on investments. So, let us deep dive into those five steps-
How to Start a Blog in 5 Steps
Step 1: Know the Niche/Topic/Business you should Blog About
In case you or your business is related to a particular niche, it is important that your blog is talking about the products and services of that niche.
Blog topic should be related to the product whose online presence you want to promote.
Choosing a topic that you consider interesting is also important.
You can only engage your visitor if you are excited about the topic you are discussing otherwise blogging will turn into a tedious work that would never be fruitful.
- You should choose a topic that can instigate discussions
- Your content should be interesting, informative and engaging
- Your blog niche should be about the topic you are confident about
- Incorporate some kind of uniqueness in your writing because there can be 100s of the articles on the same topic and to make yours stand out, you need to have some USP
- You should let your blog be the go-to place for all the information related to your niche
Step 2: Opt for a Blogging Platform that is SEO Friendly
The second step of this ‘How to Start a Blog’ would talk about one of the most important things when it comes to blogging i.e. blogging platform.
This lets you have a stage where you can continue writing and posting different forms of content.
Some of the most popular blogging platforms are WordPress, Squarespace, Blogger, Wix, Weebly and so on.
While WordPress and Wix are the topmost choices, you can choose which one is better WordPress or Wix.
To make your blog enjoy high search ranking, using a platform that is SEO friendly is another important step to learn when you want to master how to start a blog.
By far, WordPress is one of the most preferred SEO-compatible blogging platforms.
- It offers the needed flexibility and functionality; a blogging site needs to be search engine friendly.
- Choosing WordPress will also help you deep dive into a huge community that shares everything related to small SEO tools, tricks, and hacks
Choosing WordPress offers you two options-
- It lets you start a blog for free and you can create WordPress.com blogs
- Your domain will end with WordPress.com
- These blogs have the limitations and also restrict your income potential
- This one costs a little bit and it offers more control in your hand
- You will be able to create a WordPress.org website but it does not limit you to create a website with .org end and you can create websites with .com or .in endings
- You can create your website with your preferred domain like digitalvidya.com
Step 3- Get a Hosting Platform for your Site
The third step of ‘How to Start a Blog Guide’ deals with setting up a blog that you can do by choosing a host for your blog.
Actually, when you choose WordPress as a blogging platform to create a blog, you download WordPress on your PC as Software. You are the only one who can access this blog, as WordPress cannot put your blog on the internet.
Hosting platforms would do this for you.
A hosting company or host provides you a server space on the web that will let your site be accessible to anyone using the internet.
Bluehost is one such host that you can use to create your blog.
You can easily choose the hosting plan of your choice. The process involves-
- Choose any of the plans and click on the Green Select Button
- Choosing Plus or Prime plan would help you get unlimited features
- With Prime version, you can get features like Domain Privacy
Step 4- Choose a Domain Name for your Blog
Next thing to start your own blog is choosing domain name i.e. a web address.
You can use your own name, business name or any other unique and catchy name that fits well with your niche.
In case you are having any pre-registered domain name then you should enter that in ‘I have a domain name’ box.
If you are not having any registered domain name, then you can put the desired one in ‘New Domain’ box.
Once you do this, enter your account information
In next step, you are required to choose an account plan
Then, you should enter the billing information and click on submit (Once you click on Submit, the interface will ask you if you like to add any special offers or upgrades- beginners should skip this step)
Once your purchase is done, you need to choose a password. Click on ‘Create your password” button and fill in your password. Now, you’re ready to log in and get started.
Step 5- Start working on your WordPress Site
After completing all the aforestated steps, now you have come to the final step of this ‘how to start a blog guide’.
Here, you can continue working on your WordPress site. You only need to log in by using your chosen password.
As you are starting right now, so pre-installed themes would be good for you, however, you can change or upgrade your theme with a different one later.
You can build your site and at first, it starts with a temporary domain as your domain gets fully registered in 24 hrs and once it is ready, Bluehost will automatically shift your site on the permanent domain.
Once all is done, you will be required to click on ‘Start Building’ button to start your blogging.
When you click on that, you will be taken to a new WordPress site that is back end of your own blog.
Your blog is ready and now you only need to design it as per your preference and continue using it.
You need to go into setting and do some tweaks like changing permalinks. You should also change the username ‘Admin’ to something that you consider safer. Activation of the domain and changing the domain from HTTP to HTTPS will let your blog be ready to go.
I have explained the 5 steps that will help you start your own blog in the easiest possible manner & learn blogging.
After completing all the aforestated steps of this ‘How to Start a Blog Guide’, you need to learn more and more about WordPress to clear its basics, hacks and tools.
Then you should write ‘About Page’, start writing your content that is high quality and you should be consistent in your posts as well.
You should do proper research on how to write a blog that is informative, engaging and appealing.
It’s your turn now…
Are you sure, you’re ready to create your own blog? -If yes then before we bid bye, a few questions for you-
Why should you switch from HTTP to HTTPS in Bluehost?
What will you do if your preferred domain name is not available?
What are the ways to make your WordPress blogs SEO friendly?
Answer of these questions will take you to the next step, from ‘How to Start a Blog’ to ‘How to do Blogging as Expert Bloggers do and Make Money’.
Joining Digital Marketing Course will help you learn how to blog like an expert blogger.
Having any other doubt about this post, or WordPress blogging? – Share your thoughts in comments.