After graduating from the University of Warwick in the UK, Deepak Shukla went on to work for Wave Maker (formally MEC) which is the second largest media agency in the world, with a client portfolio that includes: Vodafone, L’Oréal and Netflix.
Deepak then went on to work at Deloitte in the London office where he worked as a Tax Consultant.
Deepak Shukla’s entrepreneurial journey began However, after leaving Deloitte, as he went on to launch a music recording studio with 200+ National clients, then a tutoring agency with a 120k annualized revenue in its second year, then launched an online education marketplace for which he raised 75k from.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Deepak Shukla: When I launched my digital marketing agency, Purr Traffic (which is now Pearl Lemon), I quickly realized that because of the direct response nature of digital marketing you can do something and very quickly see the results of your work.
It’s a superpower today – it’s the fastest way to help someone to transform their business and then ultimately their lives which something that I am really passionate about.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach woyld you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Deepak Shukla: As an agency owner myself, I’d say it really depends upon the business. Sometimes a blended approach between an agency and an in-house team is needed to deliver great results in alignment with a unified goal.
Which are your 3 favourite Digital Marketing Tools?
- LinkedIn for creating your position or base of influence
- Mailshake for running cold email campaigns
- Facebook Ads for B2C sales
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs: It is the fastest way to transform a business
- For Students: There is a digital skills gap, so learning digital marketing skills can really help to boost your resume and impress employers and can open up opportunities for self-employment.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
- ability to learn
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Deepak Shukla: Build social proof do that by giving free consultations/advice in exchange for reviews and case studies. Social proof signals to future clients that you can deliver results, that you have an online presence and that you have a visible portfolio that demonstrates your ability.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
- Through massive experimentation to help me to ultimately make data-driven decisions.
- Talking to industry peers and learning their insights
- Identifying singular problems I face and finding answers to them online
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
- Raghav Haran
- Glen Allsopp
- Matthew Barby
You led the webinar ‘How To Set-up An SEO Agency From Scratch As A Newbie;. How was your experience in leading the webinar?
Deepak Shukla: I really enjoyed hosting a webinar with Digital Vidya! I thought that the audience was extremely engaged and asked some brilliant questions! I had the room to share my insights and experiences which was extremely fulfilling.
Please share top 3-5 takeaways from the Webinar you led for our community.
- The 3 top platforms I use to generate leads on a daily basis
- The biggest mistakes that agency newbies make when trying to convert a client
- How to sell for value instead of selling for hours
- The importance of building social proof and how to do it fast
Would you like to share a few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Digital Vidya seem to really care about their students and that’s something that I find is not common enough and I think they are doing something awesome!
To know more about Deepak Shukla, you can check out his LinkedIn profile.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).