From the Sales and Marketing experience at Zomato to the Media Strategy experience at iProspect, Nishant Malsisaria‘s career graph from past has aided in building the current Digital Portfolio. He had a fair share in terms of exploring possibilities on Digital both from the Supply and Demand side of things to know that the future is here.
Currently, Nishant is serving as Associate Director – Paid Media, Dentsu Webchutney, leading the media vertical for Mumbai office & Paid Social Media, nationally. Digital is the single most important factor in his profile since his job is to offer tailor-made solutions for Clients basis their Brief/Business Problem and to see how Digital can fit best to provide solutions aligned to it the problem, in the most efficient way.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital?
Nishant Malsisaria: Technology has always intrigued me personally and our generation has witnessed the constant and rapid growth of Technology from using the Nokia 3310s and then moving to Pentium Computers to now experiencing Virtual Assistance in the name of Siri to AI and even AR today. Once I got into Digital Marketing, I experimented with multiple things across varied verticals available on Digital. However, what drives me the most is the true potential of digital i.e. providing Business Solutions linked with connecting the dots to measure value for Clients and their Business. What keeps me going even after more than 4 years of working in the same industry is the consistent desire to learn. Since we are a part of evolution and all of it is fed by Digital and Technology aligned to it, no one is ever 100% done and there’s always room to learn and practice newer things.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Nishant Malsisaria: Conventional Marketing has its own advantages like Reach, Prime Time, Shared Screen Experience etc. however, there has been an increasing threat to Conventional Marketing in terms of Ad Dollar Spend constantly increasing on Digital. This is due to the increasing penetration of audiences on Digital influenced by factors like highly competitive data packs, career plans and increasing penetration of low-cost Smartphones. All of this clubbed with the accuracy and personalization that Digital offers along with end to end measurability of the Marketing Funnel feeds the maximum threat to Conventional Marketing.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
- Jaslok Hospital – The Dyslexic Captcha: One of Webchutney’s very own case study, it was a clear winner with the success it received simply by pairing Creative and Media and making users realise the difficulty faced by dyslexic children/individuals.
- Campbell’s – Soup Tube: Here again, the Creative pairing of customized communication along with everything people are searching for is an exemplary way of showcasing the strength of Digital.
- Buzzfeed Watermelon Facebook live: One of the most off the hook Campaigns and Creative thought which ended up building intrigue of more than 800k users (largest ever on Facebook live) hooked onto the watermelon bursting and making watermelon a trending topic around Social Media with Hashtags and Memes.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- Not focusing on Audiences: It is the most important part to know your audiences for which there are freely available tools like Facebook Audience insights/Consumer barometer etc. Most advertisers overlook their audiences on digital and their consumption pattern which further reduces the impact on their marketing effort. Something as simple as mobile first, feature phone users etc. which can add great value while devising the communication and media strategy is not factored in sometimes.
- Non-contextual approach: Digital is about being contextual to audiences which are of value to brands, most advertisers are working with creative and media in isolation which affects the user experience rather than enhancing it and that’s an opportunity loss for the brands and their communication since the essence of the messaging is diluted in the process.
- Micro Management without giving breathing space: A lot of times digital is sold as a medium which allows you to be as flexible as possible with respect to the media vehicles, creative testing, website testing, UI/UX etc. Advertisers/brands mistake it to deliver business value or results in a day without letting it breathe. Audiences on digital are dynamic and the systems/engines are constantly learning hence each effort needs to be given a decent breathing space for its true potential to be discovered.
Between Agency and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Nishant Malsisaria: Having an agency background all this while, I’ve had the opportunity to work with multiple Clients/Advertisers across different verticals and, I am always in favor of Advertisers to work with agencies against an in-house set up due to the variety of thought across Brands, agency experience, Tools and Tech etc. that an agency brings along with them.
How do you ensure increasing Digital Marketing’s relevance and influence in the organization?
Nishant Malsisaria: Digital holds very high relevance when it comes to the precision with respect to targeting that it brings on the table and the ability to talk to them through personalized communication. A solution that is audience focused, backed by data and further drilled down with an optimum Media and Communication mix brings out the best. The success observed through campaign data acts as an influence within the organization.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
- Facebook Audience Insights – Represents data for almost 50% of Internet in India and helps understand the audience
- Keywords Planner and Adwords Editor – Helps devise an Intent Strategy and what people are looking for along with easy execution of Campaigns
- Similarweb Pro – A paid Tool for a deep-dive on Competition, Core Website and App
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs: Comparatively low investment to begin with, immediate results, multiple testing of product/service from an audience, communication and media standpoint and increasing penetration
- For Professionals: Increasing receptivity with brands and things a professional within a brand or agency can do to help their respective brands grow and keeping themselves updated with the constant changes happening on digital
- For Students: Digital comes in handy across whatever line of business they choose to pursue, ranging from operations management, HR, Marketing, Finance and forums which are niche to a field of study. Everything is digital based where quick exchange of information is now possible outside of study group or college which is an example of how Digital is bringing the world together. Today a lot of content from people/publications has moved to Digital giving the education ecosystem online a huge boost in terms of flexibility and convenience of learning anything anytime from people around the world.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
- Intention to learn and deliver
- Thought process – How does he/she thinks when put across a difficult situation
- General industry knowledge
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Nishant Malsisaria: Digital is an ocean with multiple possibilities, be true to yourself when it comes to what intrigues you about Digital as there are many sides of it ranging from Content creation, Brand Strategies, Media, Business Development, Services etc. A lot of information about everything is available freely on the internet, so do your research before taking a decision and choose a job for the exposure and not only for the money.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
Nishant Malsisaria: Being a part of DAN ecosystem, we have exposure to some centralized content which is open to global group and helps keep us updated to latest trends on Digital, some of the content is also publically released. Apart from this, I am subscribed to the newsletters of major partners like Facebook, Google & Hotstar, along with Tech partners on knowing what’s happening.
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
- Gautam Mehra – Chief Data Officer, Dentsu Aegis Network
- Vivek Bhargava – CEO, DAN Performance
- Saumitra Korgaonkar – Divisional Manager, Club Mahindra Holidays
You led the webinar ‘Framework of Digital Media Marketing in India’. How was your experience in leading the webinar?
Nishant Malsisaria: My experience was splendid and I was overwhelmed with the response and the number of questions that were posted during the webinar. Sorry for not being able to answer all of them considering the paucity of time.
Please share top 3-5 takeaways from the Webinar you led for our community.
Nishant Malsisaria: It is important to conduct a well-planned and well-timed and the good folks of Digital Vidya helped me frame my webinar to deliver maximum value to the right set of audience.
Do you have any suggestions for us to further increase the values of our Digital Marketing Webinars?
Nishant Malsisaria: If the webinars can be clubbed with a small exercise for users apart from the Q&A session, it would become more productive for the audience.
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2018?
With the growing investments in Technology and Data Sciences, the Digital ecosystem is gearing up for delivering better than what it currently is and increasing accuracy of targeting on Digital and catering to a more personalized approach to each segment of the Audience.
- Large Corporations to move towards Investment into DMP
- Personalized messaging through Videos will see an increase with Digital first (mobile first) thinking
- Contextual Marketing along with Automation is likely to take over
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Digital Vidya has taken a great initiative of bringing together people from the Industry and the good folks who are willing to learn. With every Webinar hosted, there is a different perspective that is brought to the table by people with varied experience. The exposure of such information put together is of very high value for people who are absorbing this.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).