Pallav Gogoi started his career as a travel writer just after completing his MBA. Following a brief stint as a travel writer, he joined a Delhi-based Digital Advertising company as Digital Marketing Associate. After spending 4 years and learning the complete mechanics of eCommerce and Digital Marketing, he shifted to an Automobile Start-up as Assistant Manager – Digital where he handled the eBusiness division. He is currently working as a Corporate Communication Officer for a Heavy Engineering Company where his proficiency in Digital Marketing is helping the company to increase its online visibility.
His current job responsibilities include:
- Media Relations
- Internal/External Communication
- Digital Asset Management
- Films/ Editing
- Proof Checking
- Media Buying
- Corporate Information Management – Offline/Online
- Search Engine Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO)/ Improving Website Experience
- Social Media Marketing
He is also a regular contributor to The Huffington Post and The Assam Tribune.
How did you get into Digital Marketing? What interested you in learning Digital Marketing?
Pallav: I am blogging since 2006 and reading voraciously about eCommerce and Online Marketing. I never thought that Digital Marketing will become so huge. I got acquainted with Digital Marketing when I was working for the Delhi-based start-up. Since it was a start-up, I was doing almost everything. From creating Content to Link Building, from Social Media to Payment Gateway, from Affiliate Marketing to Search Engine Optimization, I almost had tremendous hands-on experience during this phase of my life. I was handling a product which we used to sell outside India online. After 4 years, we were selling 1000 products online. Digital Marketing is something that needs constant improvisation as things change rapidly in the Digital World. Something which is working today may not work next year. It becomes interesting when you start getting results. Digital Marketing is an ongoing experiment with words, techniques and consumer trends and you need remarkable patience to learn the art of Online Marketing.
According to you, what are the advantages of conventional marketing over Digital Marketing? Do you think that Digital Marketing is a threat to the future of conventional marketing?
Pallav: Combining the benefits of Conventional and Digital Marketing is one of the best ways to maximize growth. Every business is different hence we have to take up the right tool to sell our products. Digital Marketing is the future but you can’t ignore the existence of Conventional Marketing as most of the B2B companies still believe in the conventional mode of marketing.
Share about your 3 favorite Digital Marketing case studies. What did you like most about them?
Pallav: I don’t read case studies as trends in Digital Marketing keeps changing. Creating informative, problem solving or relatable content is the key to a great Viral Marketing campaign.
According to you, what are the top 3 mistakes committed by organizations today in leveraging Digital Marketing?
- You can’t achieve success overnight. Digital Marketing needs long time investment. It’s not about ranking high on Google for one month; it’s about building a long time reputation
- Content is the king. If your website is written only for Search Engines, you won’t be able to attract the right kind of people. You have to inform them about the product before selling them online. You need to invest some money on writers for receiving winning content. Most companies use inexperienced writers for content marketing which consequently demolishes their Digital Marketing dreams
- Digital Marketing needs to be taken more seriously. People are still trapped somewhere between Digital and Traditional Marketing, most of the marketers are still confused about the future of Digital Marketing. You can’t deny the popularity of app-based products which serves as the testimony for the growing popularity of Digital Marketing.
Between Agencies and In-house, which approach would you recommend for maximum value of Digital Marketing? Why?
Pallav: Combine the power of two. It’s advisable to have an agency in place as well as an in-house team to maximize your Digital Marketing goals. The in-house team helps the agency to understand the brand philosophy whereas the agency has access to expert resources.
Which are your 3 favorite Digital Marketing Tools?
- Google Analytics
Why do you think it’s important for entrepreneurs, marketing professionals and students to learn Digital Marketing today?
- For Entrepreneurs: It’s the easiest and the most reasonable podium to reach out to your target audience
- For Professionals: Digital Marketing helps in Personal Branding
- For Students: Every company in the world needs a Digital Marketing team because you can’t ignore the power of the Internet hence learning Digital Marketing skills can easily maximize your chances to make a voguish career.
What are the top 3-5 skills you look for when hiring a candidate for Digital Marketing profile?
- Good writing – ability to create killer headlines and engaging content plays a major role in Digital Marketing
- Should understand the power and dynamics of the Internet
- Analytical skill is important to create effective campaigns
What is your advice for newbies, who are looking at building a career in Digital Marketing industry?
Pallav: To get hands-on experience, you need to start a blog. Having a blog gives you opportunity to experiment with various Digital Marketing techniques without any risk. Read popular blogs and watch videos to brush up your skills. You have to be an active Internet person to make your Digital Marketing dreams real.
How do you stay updated on the latest trends in Digital Marketing? Which are the Digital Marketing resources (i.e. blogs/websites/apps) you visit regularly?
- Warrior Forum
- The Verge
- Tech Insider
Share the names of 3 people you respect when it comes to Digital Marketing.
- Matt Cutts
- Neil Patel
- Darren Rowse
How do you see Digital Media evolving in future? What are the top 3 trends do you foresee for 2016?
Digital Media complements Print Media and vice versa. Both will stay and flourish together in future.
Top 3 Trends:
- Augmented Reality
- 3D Printing
- Internet of Things (IoT)
Would you like to share few words about the work we are doing at Digital Vidya?
Digital Vidya is doing a fantastic job of promoting The Digital Culture across the globe.
Are you inspired by the opportunity of Digital Marketing? Start your journey by attending our upcoming orientation session on Digital Marketing for Career & Business Growth. It’s online and Free :).