If you have been searching for a PPC Tutorial that can help you learn PPC and AdWords in a Nutshell then all your quest ends here- This article will guide you know what PPC is, plus, it will help you understand all the idiosyncrasies of PPC advertising; such as- creating keywords list in PPC, writing killer PPC Ads, bidding in PPC and running result driven Google AdWords PPC Campaigns.
This PPC Tutorial will help you know how to accurately use the real power of paid advertising. Before going in details, let us firstly understand what PPC advertising is-
What is PPC
PPC helps you implement an internet advertising system, which is meant to drive online traffic to your websites, in which advertiser pays a certain price to the publisher when an ad is clicked.
User clicks on an ad- Sponsored link directs the user to Ad’s website- Advertiser needs to pay some amount to the search engine
This PPC Tutorial explains how you can use paid advertising to your advantage and optimize online presence of your business, which would be helpful for all those who are into advertising and aspire to make a career in Google AdWords and Paid Advertising. Let us now delve in the in-depth details of what is PPC all about.
Introduction to PPC
As a PPC Tutorial for beginners, this section of the article will provide you an overview of Pay Per Click so that you can get the idea of different entities involved in paid advertising-
1. PPC Ad and Search Engine Advertising
- As said above, PPC is an internet-marketing model, in which advertisers utilize publisher’s website to promote their business through Ads. For this, publisher gets a fixed amount when a user clicks on the Advertiser’s ads.
- PPC advertising is a pull-type internet marketing used for buying user visits to a website.
- Search Engine Advertising is one of the most popular forms of PPC advertising that allows advertisers to bid for placement of ads in sponsored links of a search engine that makes their Ads be visible to searchers, who search for a keyword related to advertisers’ business.
2. Steps involved in creating an online Ad
- Know how to do the research for effective keywords related to your product and service
- Understand how to choose the right keyword from list of keywords
- Learn how to group the keywords relevantly
- Know how to arrange the keywords to create an Ad
Too much about keywords?- no worries next section will help you know how to create the keyword list.
3. Entities Involved in PPC Advertising
- Product Seller
- PPC Marketer
- Landing Page
- Landing Page Provider
- Viewer or the Visitor
4. Properties of a result-driven PPC Ad
- Successful PPC Ads are one of the essential parts of relevant ad-groups
- Result driven PPC Ads address the query asked by the users
- Best PPC Ads take users to right landing page
- Powerful PPC Ads drive users to on it and ensure conversion
5. General Formula for Calculating PPC
- To calculate PPC, the basic formula is: – Pay per click ($) = Advertising cost ($) ÷ Number of ad clicks
As discussed above, the next thing that we should now pay heed upon is creating keyword list in PPC. Having a right and relevant set of keywords help advertisers design a crisp and convincing PPC ad and hence help them increase the number of clicks on the ad. Let us understand creation of Keywords list in PPC-
How to Create a Keyword list in PPC
Learn to make your keyword list under this section of PPC Tutorial
1. Categorize the Keywords-
Keywords categorization involves following phrases-
- User Phrases
- Product Complementary Phrases
- Competitor Phrases
- Product Phrases
- Brand Phrases
2. Build a Keyword List
a. Create a basic list of usual business terms
- Research the audience
- Research on recently used search terms
- Research on more suggestions
- Research on Competitors
b. Expand the Keyword list
- You need to review seller’s site for new trends
- You need to understand how people talk about the same
- You should identify well performing keywords
- You should use keyword research tools
c. Refine the Keyword list
- You should use keyword categories to have an idea about search’s intent
- You should participate in Google Keyword Competition
- You should check for result relevance
- You need to group keywords semantically
3. Know the right length of a list of Keywords
Length of a list of keywords is directly proportional to-
- Complexity of your business
- Complexity of the products or service the business is offering
- The range of that particular product or service
4. Know the right Keyword Research Tool
- Google AdWords keyword Planner
- Word Tracker
- Keyword Discovery
- SEO Book Keyword Suggestion tools
How to write a Killer PPC Ad
Now, this PPC Tutorial will help you learn how to write a successful PPC Ad in the easiest possible manner-
1. Know the elements of a PPC Ad-
- Headline is the main title of your PPC Ad which should be magnetic, crisp, and compact
- Display URL is actually the link of Webpage where your prospects will be taken onto and you need to add your page through top keyword in your Ad campaign
- Description Line 1 and 2 is actually the body of your ad that describes the product or the service that you are offering
2. Know the steps involved in creating a compelling PPC Ad-
1. How to do Market and Audience Research
- Know how many people are using the product you are offering
- Know number of people using various parallel products
- Calculate the approximate budget for the ad
- Know what your users want
- Gauge the motivation of your user
- Analyze why your user needs this product
- Know the words that resonate with each group of keywords
2. How to do Keyword Research
- Learn kinds of products searched by prospects in the seller’s business domain
- Know who are looking for the same kind of products and what keywords they are using
- Calculate cost to bid for PPC ad on relevant keyword searches
- Know the keywords that your competitors are using
3. How to Build a Pay-Per-Click Ad
- Know how to build the PPC ad by putting groups of related keywords into one ad group.
- Learn how to create multiple ads and split-test for different ad groups
4. How to Build Landing Pages
- Know how to build the respective landing pages by adding art, technology.
5. How to Track, Measure, and Report
- Know impressions that tell you how often your ads appear
- Learn click-through rate that tells you how often your ads are clicked on
- Calculate response rates that tell how often people respond to what your website offers for various Ad groups, Ads and keywords.
6. How to Optimize the Ad
- Learn how to optimize Ad through monitoring data, improving and refining the keywords, landing pages and ads as per the need
- Know all the changes that are implemented and understand that Ad performance is trending in right direction
- Have the ability to remove all the non-working words, links, images, etc.
3. Know how to create PPC Ads using AdWords
Success of a PPC campaign depends on a well-written, convincing and concise Google AdWords Ad copy. This Google AdWords Tutorial helps you learn how to write Google AdWords ads. Google AdWords is one of the most popular advertising systems that facilitate businesses to publish ads on Google.
Different steps involved in Google AdWords PPC Tutorial are-
1. Exactly know the Rules of Framing an AdWords Ad
To frame the AdWords ad, you need to use-
- Display URL
- The Display URL and real URL should be on the same domain
2. Identify your True Competitors
- In next step, you need to identify who are your competitors who compete with you in bidding for your target keywords
- You need to know who is consistently getting the top ad rank
- Use this insight and find out the companies and analyze their ads
3. Let users know seller’s Assets, USPs, and Your Credentials
You need to know what you can offer to the prospective users to impress and convince them-
- USP (unique selling point)
- Seller’s Credentials
- Show Off your top features like if you have worked with some well known brands then you should show off that, as this helps you stands out from your advertising competitors
4. Know how to create an Effective CTA
Use of effective CTA or Call to Action in your Ad Copy is your only opportunity to convey your audience exactly what action you want them to take. Different phrases that you can use are-
- Direct Response Phrases like Register
- Lead Generation Phrases like Contact us
- Engagement Phrases like Check Out
5. Know how to write Your Ad Copy
You need to think of the intentions of your users and then you should write Ad copy accordingly as your Ad copy should answer their questions.
- You should Use numbers and exclamation marks because they capture prospects’ attention
- You should also use well known abbreviations as they save space
- You should use keywords in headline to make your ad more prominent
6. Know how to add Extensions
Using Ad extensions helps you increase your click-through rate and in this, you can add contact numbers, reviews, site links, testimonials, etc.
- Ad extensions like contact numbers and location help in boosting conversation and conversions
- Extensions like site links help users get what they are looking for with just one click
- Ad extensions like reviews and testimonials build up confidence with your prospects
7. Know how to repeat Keywords on the Landing Page
- You need to know how to repeat keywords on the landing page used in your Ad
- It reassures the prospects to visit the right place for his requirements
8. Learn how to conduct test
- You should use AdWords Experiments (beta) for accurately testing different versions of your Ad
- You will also learn how to refine Ad as per the judgment of what works best for your ad and what ensures conversions.
How to create a PPC Campaign in Google AdWords
To run a PPC campaign in Google AdWords, you need to keep the following checklist ready-
1. Budget per Month
2. Budget per Day
3. Scope of Geotargeting
4. List of Keywords
5. A Ready Ad Copy that includes-
- Heading of ad (25 char)
- Description Line 1 (35 char)
- Description Line 2 (35 char)
- Display URL (35 char)
- Destination URL (1024 char)
- Landing Page URL
- Design of landing page ready/not ready
- Image required, if any
Now, you are ready to dig deep and create a PPC campaign in Google AdWords by following below given steps-
A- Steps involved in creating Google AdWords PPC Campaign-
1. You need to Sign-in to your Google account and then you will get to see this webpage:
2. You should click on the button ‘Create your first campaign’.
3. This will display the following page.
4. Now, you may enter the campaign name as ‘First Campaign’ and you need to enter Type as ‘Search Network only’. Once you do this, you can scroll down for other entries like location. You need to enter location and click on ‘Let me choose’ to let your Ad be visible in a particular area.
5. You need to click on the button Search that will show the location; then you need to click on the button Add and then on the button Done.
6. To set up a bid strategy for AdWords campaign, you have two options. First allows you to do it on your own and the second offers you to let AdWords manage it. If you want then select the first option ‘I’ll manually select my bids for clicks’.
7. Now you need to enter the Default bid, and Budget per day. It will set the maximum number of clicks per day.
8. For a very basic Ad, you can leave the Site links, location and Call options unchecked. Now, you need to click on the button ‘Save and continue’ that following page will be displayed to create Ad groups:
9. Now you need to select ‘My landing page isn’t ready’ and then you should enter the Ad group name. You need to add the keywords. It is important here to add one keyword per line in the keywords’ list box.
10. Time to scroll a little further that will let you find the following options:
11. Here, you need to click on the button Continue to ads. This will display a dialog to create ads:
Now, you need to enter the Destination URL, heading of the ad and display URL. You need to pay heed upon the fact that both Display and Destination URLs can be different but they should be from the same domain. You need to enter description line 1 and description line 2 here. To make your description lines inviting, you need to use punctuation marks along with effective keywords.
After ensuring all this, you need to click on the button ‘Save’ that will let you see the following page:
Now, two more steps and you will be able to run your Google AdWords PPC campaign-
B- 2 Final Steps to run Google AdWords PPC Campaign
1. Now, you need to click on the button Review campaign to know that everything is accurately set. This is how review page appears-
2. Finally, you should click on the button Save and finish. You are done now and your first basic Google AdWords PPC ad is ready. Following page will appear with the details of your campaign-
After creating your AdWords basic ad, you can also modify the settings related to campaign type, name, location, budget, bid strategy, language, etc. If needed, you may also add different extensions like contact numbers, etc. It is highly advisable here to using the Keyword Planner feature, as this will help you add potential keywords to your list of keywords.
In PPC, Ads that are useful and relevant are given preferences and better visibility. There must be plenty of PPC Tutorials that you’ll undergo. However, this PPC Tutorial will help you learn the ways to create compelling, convincing and relevant PPC ad campaigns.
On the concluding note, let me share a list of PPC Tutorial Components that you need to master to run successful PPC Advertising campaigns–
5 PPC Components you should master-
1. Search Engine Marketing and PPC Overview
- Understanding Google search, Rule based personalization of marketing at internet scale
- Overview of Google Adwords, Microsoft AdCenter and Yahoo Search Marketing
- PPC definition & it’s functioning, Important Terms – Quality Score, Conversion Rate, Quality Score Overview
2. Strategizing PPC Campaigns and Market Analysis
- Setting objectives, goals & expectations, Knowing actionable metrics and formulating account structure
- Effective segmentation of keywords and usage of multiple match types, Non-overlapping Ad Group
- Understanding industry key-drivers and competitive analysis, Organizational positioning and targeting
3. Ad Writing Techniques, Campaign Management and Bid Management Plan
- Understanding, Analyzing & Improving – Relevance & Quality score,
- Improve conversion rates, targeted ads & relevant landing pages
- Overview of the PPC tools, Understanding advance functionality, Understand bidding strategy
- Manual vs. Automated bid management, Different bid management features like CPA bidding, position preference etc.
4. Effective Landing Pages, Performance Tracking, Decipher User Psychology
- Importance of UI/UX design, Call-to-action, Set campaign objectives & goals
- Define Performance Metrics, Monitor PPC activity with Google Analytics
- Understand & connect with the user, Benefit from search behavior of prospective customer
5. Reporting, Analysis, and Testing
- Integrating PPC account with Google Analytics
- Understanding reports and define the future plan of action
- Multivariate Testing
- A/B split Testing
Looking for where to start your PPC tutorial learnings? No worries, join in the Search Engine Marketing training for a kick-start.
Still confused which PPC Tutorial is right for you to get best PPC jobs?- Ask me in comments.