Online shopping has become one of the most trending behaviours in consumers. eCommerce stores are more in fashion today than ever. A recent study by Google pointed out how people have travelled from midnight snacking to midnight shopping. Be it a way to pass their time or save some money with lucrative offers and deals, eCommerce websites are on an all-time high. eCommerce SEO is both the science and arts of empowering a site to rank on the first page of Search Engines for a tactically defined set of keywords.
eCommerce SEO is very effective in optimizing the ranking of eCommerce websites organically which is highly crucial at the times when-
70 to 80% of online users outrightly ignore sponsored ads. Plus as per SEMrush study, 37+ % of all traffics to eCommerce portals come from the search engines
With all the statistics pointing towards the effect of modern technology on shopping behaviour, it is no news that many individuals want to start their online business through eCommerce websites.
This popularity of online shopping can serve two purposes to its owners – while, on the one hand, they do not have to indulge in explaining all the details to the buyers on the web.
Then on the other side, they face intense competition from other websites and businesses.
eCommerce Search Engine optimization helps in moving ahead in the competition, and this post will uncover how it does so-
What is eCommerce SEO?
Search Engine Optimization(SEO) is an optimizing technique for your website to rank higher for your targeted product and there specific keywords in different search engines, such as Google, Bing, etc.
There are abundant algorithms in place that decide these ranks for different websites.
eCommerce SEO is one such area where your online business website can find a top ranking using certain SEO strategies for eCommerce marketing.
Whenever a user types a word or a phrase in the search engine, a set of algorithms provide a hierarchy of websites offering the user’s requirement in the form of ranks.
The ranks are the result of best practices of eCommerce Search Engine Optimization.
The most relevant website to the user’s search ranks top on the page. An SEO-friendly eCommerce website that finds its place in SERPs’ first three positions receives almost 60 per cent of the traffic in that particular niche.
Why having SEO friendly eCommerce website is important?
To ensure that your website is catering to the targeted audience’s requirements, the optimization of your page becomes essential.
This is where eCommerce SEO comes into the picture. Any ideal marketing strategy designed to bring more traffic to your online business shall provide you with an SEO strategy for eCommerce websites.
The reason why every online marketer should aim at building an SEO friendly eCommerce website is that only when they are providing content that attracts the right audience can the business of online marketing reap profits.
Let us now have a look at different elements that channelize eCommerce SEO-
Components of eCommerce Search Engine Optimization
eCommerce SEO revolves around the idea of gathering more organic traffic to your website. SEO strategies for eCommerce websites involve optimizing the titles, product description, metadata, internal linking, and other nuances of the navigational structure for smooth user experience.
An SEO friendly eCommerce website firstly targets the optimization of the content on their product page. But apart from the on-page SEO, optimization of non-product pages also play an important role in eCommerce Search Engine optimization.
These pages are as follows:
- The Homepage
- The About page of your website
- The F.A.Q. page targeting customer review
- The Blog articles published on your website
- The Help centre answers to your customers’ queries
- The Contact page on your website
The idea behind the optimization of these product and non-product pages is simple.
The more relevant your page is, the higher you rank on the SERPs. The inclusion of keywords for the product-page and related words for non-product pages comes to the owners’ rescue.
eCommerce SEO is fostered on various platforms like Ubersuggests that performs the keyword operations for your niche and provides semantic keywords that go well with it.
How to Develop an eCommerce SEO strategy
eCommerce SEO is seemingly difficult, especially if your website has tons of products and is highly populated. It consumes a lot of time to build an ideal SEO strategy for an eCommerce website, but it shall reap great results down the line with the correct areas targeted.
Following are the factors to keep in mind while designing a customized kit for your SEO friendly eCommerce website:
- Prioritize the pages on your website: identify the main pages on your website that gather the most traffic. It is always suggested to start your optimization of eCommerce SEO with these pages. Additionally, if you want people to focus on a specific or your website’s flagship product, start with its optimization as a priority.
- Create an SEO workflow: There are many intricate specifications required while you are optimizing your website with eCommerce Search Engine optimization. This involves keyword optimization, metadata tweaks, image-naming as well as alternate attributes if these do not work out to attract traffic.
- Keeping a close eye on the competition: it is always advised to keep a tab on your niche’s competitors. The best practices they are using to building eCommerce Search Engine optimization can give ideas for your website too. If your website is successful in outwitting your competitors in your niche, you have achieved an ideal SEO strategy for eCommerce websites.
All in all, your eCommerce SEO strategy should revolve around-
- Keyword research for finding the types of keywords your target customers are searching
- Site architecture as per your keyword research
- On-Page SEO by using strategic keyword optimization in meta tags and content
- Technical SEO by ensuring search engines can crawl your site efficiently
- Local SEO for driving local organic traffic
- Content marketing for driving additional organic visitors
- Link Building for improving the authority of your website
- Measuring SEO Success by using tools like Google Analytics and Ahrefs
Key considerations for ideal eCommerce SEO toolkit
There are a host of specifications that your eCommerce website should target to attract organic traffic on the best of your products.
An SEO friendly eCommerce website attains their desired ranks in the SERPs only after they have worked on the following attributes of their webpage aptly:
1) On-Page factors
On-page factors include a host of details that have to be worked upon to fulfil all the eCommerce Search Engine optimization requirements. The Search Engines look for several factors as they crawl through different pages of your website.
The following are the components of On-Page eCommerce optimization required to attract organic traffic to your space.
- Site structure – The way your pages are linked on your website affects your strategy for eCommerce SEO. the Search Engines build link structures to see how have your website created ease in navigation for the users. A well-structured website with outlined pages and subpages shall give you success as an SEO friendly eCommerce website.
- Keywords – An intricate research on the relevant keywords for your niche product leads the Search Engines to rate your page higher. Adequate optimization using eCommerce SEO, ensuring that the keywords are not cramped only for a ranking, ideal practices can come a long way in increasing your page rank.
Other important aspects of on-page SEO are as follows:
- page URL
- alt-text of images
- title tag
- internal links
2) Off-Page factors
After optimizing your website pages’ content, the next target in line should be to link your website from other pages on the internet.
This is known as backlinking. Backlinking is the most important aspect of eCommerce Search Engine optimization. It can be attained through various techniques like listing out the websites linking to your competitors and contacting them directly.
Another method of guest-posting is also an ideal SEO strategy for eCommerce websites.
Currently, off-page SEO focuses on building quality relationships rather than mere link building. A friendly approach to your niche competitors can go a long way in building up these long-term partnerships.
How to do Keyword research for eCommerce SEO
- Use Amazon Suggest
- Opt for Keyword Tool Dominator
- Use Amazon as well as Competitors’ categories
- Look upon the keywords and categories used by Wikipedia
- Use SEMrush to find keywords for which your competitors are ranking
- Try using Google Keyword Planner
How to do Technical SEO for eCommerce Sites
- Fix duplicate content issues
- Make sure none of your important pages is more than three clicks from your homepage to find deep (or orphaned) pages
- Find keyword cannibalization errors
Social media also serves as an important platform to publicize your content today.
The Search Engines add a plus to your website rank every time someone visits your webpage from an external website.
With a little dedication and a lot of research, you can be successful in building an ideal eCommerce toolkit customized for your niche’s requirements.
Did we miss anything important for Search Engine Optimization of your eCommerce store? Feel free to share that in the comments below.
To learn and master the SEO strategy for eCommerce websites, enrol yourself in an SEO course.